Tension of a rope on a cone, fallacious solution

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in a rope of mass ##m## placed over a smooth round cone with half angle ##\theta##. The solution involves considering a small element of the rope and balancing forces, leading to the result $$T={m \over 2 \pi}g \cot{\theta}$$. An alternative approach is discussed, but it is found to be incorrect due to not considering the direction of the normal force on different parts of the rope. Another possible method is using energy methods, which leads to a quicker solution.
ZetaOfThree
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A rope of mass ##m## forming a circle is placed over a smooth round cone with half angle ##\theta##. Find the tension in the rope.

Homework Equations

##\sum{F}=0##

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the problem, but I have another way that I think should work but it doesn't. I don't know why.
The way that this problem is done is to consider the tension on a small element spanning an angle ##\alpha## of the rope as shown in the following image:
1.92_fig1.JPG
. From there, we balance the forces on that small element as shown in the following image:
1.92_fig2.png
. We find that $$T={m \over 2 \pi}g \cot{\theta}$$
My question is why do we have to consider a small element of the rope? Why can't we consider half of the rope (that is, an element of the rope spanning ##\alpha = \pi##)? Therefore, the tension acts on the rope as in the following figure:
Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 12.39.54 PM.png
, leading to a free-body diagram as in the following image:
Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 12.47.08 PM.png
This leads to the result $$T={m \over 4}g \cot{\theta}$$ What's going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no tension at the end of the rope, and tension is not constant over the length.

In your alternate approach, I'll give you "2T" or "mg/2," but not both; "pi" ain't obvious to me yet.

How is the normal force acting on different parts of your string?
mfb said:
There is no tension at the end of the rope, and tension is not constant over the length.
The rope is a full circle and has no end ;)

Oh, I misread how the rope is placed.
In that case: the force is not acting in the same direction everywhere.

Just as a comment regarding alternative ways of approaching the problem: I would actually prefer to solve this one by using energy methods. The answer drops out quite naturally without having to consider individual parts of the rope.

I know what's wrong with my alternative solution. The component of the normal force that opposes ##2T## is a sum of small normal forces acting in the direction opposite to ##2T##, which act on each element of the rope perpendicular to the surface of the cone. The force that opposes ##2T## can be found using integration and you get the correct answer.

Orodruin said:
Just as a comment regarding alternative ways of approaching the problem: I would actually prefer to solve this one by using energy methods. The answer drops out quite naturally without having to consider individual parts of the rope.
Yeah, virtual work does give the result in like two lines. I was trying to find as many solutions to this problem as a could. I should have been more careful with my alternative solution above. I assumed the the force from the cone would be in a direction at angle ##\alpha## from the horizontal. For half the rope, this is not the case.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

What is the tension of a rope on a cone?

The tension of a rope on a cone refers to the force applied to the rope in order to keep it taut and prevent it from slipping off the curved surface of the cone.

Why is the solution for tension on a rope on a cone considered fallacious?

The solution for tension on a rope on a cone is considered fallacious because it assumes that the rope is always perpendicular to the curved surface of the cone, which is not necessarily true.

What factors affect the tension of a rope on a cone?

The tension of a rope on a cone is affected by the weight of the rope, the angle at which the rope is pulled, and the curvature of the cone.

How can the tension of a rope on a cone be accurately calculated?

In order to accurately calculate the tension of a rope on a cone, the weight of the rope, the angle at which it is pulled, and the curvature of the cone must all be taken into account using trigonometric equations.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the tension of a rope on a cone?

Understanding the tension of a rope on a cone is important in various fields such as engineering, construction, and sports. For example, it can be used to design and construct structures with curved surfaces, or to determine the optimal angle for a rope to be pulled in rock climbing.