Calculating Tension of Threads for Suspended Spider

In summary, the spider is suspended on two lines of web, each 72cm long, between two level branches 1.1m apart. The weight of the spider is 5.2g and the tension in each 72cm thread is calculated to be 0.0395N. When the branches are blown closer together, the tension in the threads decreases to 0.033N. The tension is calculated by using the formula T = (mg)/(2sin(theta)), where theta is the angle with respect to the vertical. The angle is found to be 50 degrees.
faoltaem
hey i have a question from my physics tute but I'm lost.

a spider is suspended on lines of web between two level branches. each line of web is 72cm long and the branches they are attached to are 1.1m apart
1) given that the spider weighs 5.2g, calculate the tension force in either of the 72cm threads.
2) a gust of wind blows the branches closer together. does the tension in the threads increase, decrease or remain the same?

i'm normally pretty good at mathmatic type questions but I'm just really lost,like i get that the weight needs to become
W = mg = 0.0052 x 9.81 = 0.051 N
but i think I'm lost because I'm used to working with angles and because the triangle formed doesn't have any right angles i can't work any out.
so even if you could just give me a formula i'd be really grateful, but any help you can give me would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
W = mg = 0.0052 x 9.81 = 0.051 N

So the braches are 1.1 m apart (and level), and the threads are each 0.72 m long.

So form a triangle 1.1 m horizontal base and two legs of 0.72 m. The spider is positioned below the midpoint of the 1.1 m separation.

my question came with a picture so i get how it's all set out I'm just having a problem with how to calculate the tension of the threads (.72m) leading down to the spider.
I'd be abe to work it out if i had a formula for it, but I've looked through my textbook, my lecture notes and had a quick look online but wasn't able to find a formula that didn't have either an angle or a velocity at which the spider would be traveling (except gravity of course).

This is a statics problem - "a spider is suspended". Gravity pulls vertically (straight) down.

Both threads bear the weight of the spider. Given the symmetry, they each bear have the weight.

The threads are oriented at angle with the horizontal (with the complementary angle with respect to the vertical), so there are horizontal and vertical components in the tension.

The vertical component of tension must relate to the weight of the spider.

The horizontal component of tension arises since one thread must pull the other thread.

If one has a right triangle with a horizontal leg of 0.55 m and a hypotenuse of 0.72 m, what is the length of the vertical leg? What is the angle of the hypotenuse with respect to the horizontal?

thanks that helped heaps, this is what I've got now, just wanted to check that I've done the right thing

a[tex]^{2}[/tex] + b[tex]^{2}[/tex] = c[tex]^{2}[/tex]
b = [tex]\sqrt{c^{2} - a^{2}}[/tex]
= [tex]\sqrt{0.72^{2} - 0.55^{2}}[/tex]
= 0.46m

cos [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{A}{H}[/tex]

cos [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{0.55}{0.72}[/tex]

[tex]\theta[/tex] = cos[tex]^{-1}[/tex] [tex]\frac{0.55}{0.72}[/tex]
= 40[tex]\circ[/tex]

T[tex]_{y}[/tex] = T sin [tex]\theta[/tex]
W[tex]_{y}[/tex] = -mg
[tex]\sum[/tex] F[tex]_{y}[/tex] = 0 = 2T[tex]_{y}[/tex] + W[tex]_{y}[/tex]
= 2(T sin [tex]\theta[/tex]) - mg
2(T sin [tex]\theta[/tex]) = mg
T sin [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{mg}{2}[/tex]
T = [tex]\frac{mg}{2 sin \theta}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{0.0052 x 9.81}{2 sin 40\circ}[/tex]

= 0.0395N.

and not neglecting the second part the tension would decrease as the branches got closer together

The Ty component acts vertically, so the angle between it and the hypotenuse is the angle with respect to the vertical. Make sure you solve for the correct angle.

ok so that would make the angle 50[tex]\circ[/tex]

so T = [tex]\frac{mg}{2sin\theta}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{0.0052 \times 9.81}{2 sin 50}[/tex]

= 0.033N

= 3.3 x 10[tex]^{-2}[/tex]N

a[tex]^{2}[/tex] + b[tex]^{2}[/tex] = c[tex]^{2}[/tex]
b = [tex]\sqrt{c^{2} - a^{2}}[/tex]
= [tex]\sqrt{0.72^{2} - 0.55^{2}}[/tex]
= 0.46m
Correct.

But

sin [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{A}{H}[/tex], where A is the horizontal leg, if [tex]\theta[/tex] is angle with vertical

or cos [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{B}{H}[/tex], where B is the vertical leg

Thus,
sin [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{0.55}{0.72}[/tex]

Then
[tex]\theta[/tex] = sin[tex]^{-1}[/tex] [tex]\frac{0.55}{0.72}[/tex]
= 50[tex]\circ[/tex],

where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle with respect to vertical.

Then
T[tex]_{y}[/tex] = T cos [tex]\theta[/tex]
W[tex]_{y}[/tex] = -mg
[tex]\sum[/tex] F[tex]_{y}[/tex] = 0 = 2T[tex]_{y}[/tex] + W[tex]_{y}[/tex]
= 2(T cos [tex]\theta[/tex]) - mg
2(T cos [tex]\theta[/tex]) = mg
T cos [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{mg}{2}[/tex]
T = [tex]\frac{mg}{2 cos \theta}[/tex]

If one uses the angle with respect to horizontal, then one must switch sin and cos.

I just wanted to make sure you used the correct angle, which you did in post #5. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the tension of threads for a suspended spider?

To calculate the tension of threads for a suspended spider, you will need to know the weight of the spider, the length of the threads, and the angle at which the threads are suspended. You can use the formula T = (mg) / cosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the spider, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the threads.

2. What is the importance of calculating tension for suspended spiders?

Calculating the tension of threads for suspended spiders is important because it ensures that the threads are strong enough to support the weight of the spider. If the tension is too low, the threads may break and the spider could fall. If the tension is too high, the threads could snap and potentially harm the spider.

3. Can you use the same formula for calculating tension in different types of threads?

Yes, the formula for calculating tension in suspended threads is applicable to all types of threads, as long as the weight of the suspended object and the angle of the threads are known. However, the strength and durability of different types of threads may vary, so it is important to use high-quality threads when suspending a spider.

4. How does the angle of the threads affect the tension calculation?

The angle of the threads is a crucial factor in the tension calculation. As the angle increases, the tension also increases. This means that a spider suspended at a steeper angle will require stronger threads to support its weight compared to a spider suspended at a shallower angle.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when suspending a spider?

Yes, it is important to always use caution when suspending a spider. Make sure the threads are securely attached and can withstand the calculated tension. It is also recommended to periodically check the tension and the condition of the threads to ensure the safety of the spider. If the threads show signs of wear or strain, they should be replaced immediately.