Calculate Tension in String of Conical Pendulum

In summary: Alright so now I have two similar triangles with sides proportional to the forces and the geometric parameters. The angle between them is the shaded one. So the tension in the string is given by T = mv2/R.
sliinky
A mass of 80g is moving in a horizontal circle supported by a string 1.2m long suspended from a fixed point in the centre of the circle. The mass completes each revolution in 0.85s. Calculate the tension in the string.

Relevant equations: I'm not entirely sure, but these were the ones I was considering:
T = 2∏R/v
F = mg
ω = 2∏ / T

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I need to find the angle between the string and the horizontal, but I don't know how to do that. I've got the hypotenuse of the triangle which is 1.2m..
I also calculated ω using the above equation and got 7.39rad/s. But now I'm lost. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the mass is moving in a circle, it must have some acceleration. What is it?

Given the acceleration, can you find the tension?

The acceleration is given by v^2 / r...
I don't know where to get those values..

## a = v^2 / r ## is the acceleration of circular motion. Now, you should also be able to express the acceleration from the forces. That should give you a system of equations.

sliinky said:
A mass of 80g is moving in a horizontal circle supported by a string 1.2m long suspended from a fixed point in the centre of the circle. The mass completes each revolution in 0.85s. Calculate the tension in the string.
Relevant equations: I'm not entirely sure, but these were the ones I was considering:
T = 2∏R/v
F = mg
ω = 2∏ / T

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I need to find the angle between the string and the horizontal, but I don't know how to do that. I've got the hypotenuse of the triangle which is 1.2m..
I also calculated ω using the above equation and got 7.39rad/s. But now I'm lost. Help?

Draw a sketch of the problem. The mass moves along a horizontal circle of radius R - unknown yet. Draw also the force vectors, acting on it. Their resultant must give the horizontal centripetal force of the circular motion. What forces act on the mass? What is their direction?

ehild

Likes 1 person
Okay so I have a force diagram..
gravity is the downwards force - F = mg
acceleration is the horizontal force which is given by v^2/r
Now what?

No, you do not have a force diagram. You have one force acting vertically, and a horizontal acceleration. That is impossible.

What about the string? Does it exert no force ?
I thought of some picture like the attached one. The string exerts force of tension T along its length. The sum of gravity and the tension provides the centripetal force. It is horizontal and the magnitude is mv2/R. You see two similar triangles, one with sides proportional with the forces and the other for the geometric parameters. They share an angle (the shaded one). Can you proceed?

ehild

Attachments

• conicpend.JPG
    conicpend.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 542

Related to Calculate Tension in String of Conical Pendulum

1. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum in which the bob (weight) moves in a circular motion rather than a back-and-forth motion. It is suspended by a string that is attached to a fixed point above the bob, creating a conical shape.

2. How is tension calculated in a string of a conical pendulum?

To calculate the tension in the string of a conical pendulum, the following formula can be used: T = (m * v^2)/r, where T is tension, m is the mass of the bob, v is the speed of the bob, and r is the radius of the circular motion. This formula is derived from the centripetal force equation, F = (m * v^2)/r.

3. What factors affect the tension in a string of a conical pendulum?

The tension in the string of a conical pendulum is affected by the mass of the bob, the speed of the bob, and the radius of the circular motion. Additionally, the length and thickness of the string can also have an impact on the tension.

4. How does the tension change as the conical pendulum swings?

As the conical pendulum swings, the tension in the string will change. At the top of the swing, the tension will be at its maximum as the speed of the bob is at its highest point. As the bob moves downward, the tension will decrease due to the decrease in speed. At the bottom of the swing, the tension will be at its minimum as the speed of the bob is at its lowest point.

5. What is the significance of calculating the tension in a string of a conical pendulum?

Calculating the tension in a string of a conical pendulum can help in understanding the forces acting on the pendulum and its motion. It can also be useful in designing and building conical pendulum experiments and devices, as well as in other applications such as engineering and physics research.