1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension problem :/

1. Oct 27, 2010 #1
    Here's the problem: A sledge loaded with bricks has a total mass of 18.0 kg and is pulled at constant speed by a rope inclined at 20.0(degrees) above the horizontal. The sledge moves a distance of 20.0m on a horizontal suface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sledge and surface is 0.500. (a) What is the tension of the rope?

I don't know how to even start this problem, or how to find out what the tension is. Can anybody help me?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi mrrocketknigh! welcome to pf! :wink:

if the speed is constant, then the acceleration is zero, so Ftotal = ma tells us that Ftotal = 0

so draw all the forces on the sledge, and get them to add to zero …

what do you get? :smile:

4. Oct 27, 2010 #3
    What do you mean by "draw all the forces on the sledge and get them to add to zero"? I'm lost.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  5. Oct 27, 2010 #4
    Re: welcome to pf!

Wait... is it 0??? I tried doing it myself this whole time, but to no avial...

6. Oct 27, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

draw a diagram of the sledge, then draw all the forces on it …

what are they?​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?