Solve Tension Problem: A Sledge w/ Bricks & Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

• Thread starter mrrocketknigh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, a sledge with a total mass of 18.0 kg is pulled at a constant speed by a rope inclined at 20.0(degrees) above the horizontal. The sledge moves a distance of 20.0m on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.500. The tension of the rope can be found by drawing all the forces on the sledge and getting them to add to zero. With a constant speed and zero acceleration, the total force on the sledge must be zero, so the tension of the rope can be calculated.
mrrocketknigh
Here's the problem: A sledge loaded with bricks has a total mass of 18.0 kg and is pulled at constant speed by a rope inclined at 20.0(degrees) above the horizontal. The sledge moves a distance of 20.0m on a horizontal suface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sledge and surface is 0.500. (a) What is the tension of the rope?

I don't know how to even start this problem, or how to find out what the tension is. Can anybody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mrrocketknigh! welcome to pf! :wink:

if the speed is constant, then the acceleration is zero, so Ftotal = ma tells us that Ftotal = 0

so draw all the forces on the sledge, and get them to add to zero …

what do you get? :smile:

What do you mean by "draw all the forces on the sledge and get them to add to zero"? I'm lost.

Last edited:

Wait... is it 0? I tried doing it myself this whole time, but to no avial...

mrrocketknigh said:
What do you mean by "draw all the forces on the sledge and get them to add to zero"? I'm lost.

draw a diagram of the sledge, then draw all the forces on it …

what are they?​

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the frictional force between two surfaces in contact when there is relative motion between them. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and is a unitless value. It depends on the type of materials in contact and the roughness of their surfaces.

2. How do you calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be represented by the equation μ = Fk/N, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, Fk is the force of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What is the force of kinetic friction?

The force of kinetic friction is the frictional force that acts against the motion of an object on a surface. It is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction by the normal force. This force is always opposite to the direction of motion and its magnitude depends on the coefficient of kinetic friction and the normal force.

4. How do you solve a tension problem involving a sledge with bricks and coefficient of kinetic friction?

To solve a tension problem involving a sledge with bricks and coefficient of kinetic friction, you will need to use the equations for force of kinetic friction and tension. First, calculate the force of kinetic friction using the coefficient of kinetic friction and the normal force. Next, set up an equation for the forces acting on the sledge, including the force of kinetic friction, the force of tension, and the weight of the sledge and bricks. Finally, solve for the tension by setting the net force equal to the mass of the sledge and bricks multiplied by the acceleration.

5. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the tension in a sledge problem?

The coefficient of kinetic friction affects the tension in a sledge problem by increasing the force of kinetic friction, which in turn increases the amount of tension needed to overcome it. This means that a higher coefficient of kinetic friction will require a larger tension force to move the sledge and its load. Additionally, a lower coefficient of kinetic friction will result in a lower tension force needed to move the sledge.