How to Calculate Tension in Wires of Different Lengths?

In summary, the problem asks for the tensions in two wires hanging from a horizontal beam. Knowing the lengths of three sides of a triangle, and applying the tension at a given point, it is possible to solve the problem.
TerryC
I initially posted this in advanced it probably however belongs here. Apologies.

Tension Vector Problem.
1. Homework Statement

Howdy all I have the following tension vector problem that I am struggling with:

"You hang a pot plant with a mass of 8kg from two lengths of wire attached to a horizontal beam 100cm apart. The wire on the left has a length of 50cm, the wire on the right has a length of 75cm. Find the tension in both wires."

There was no diagram for the problem.

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have not got very far with this as I have not solved a problem like this before where no angles are given in the initial question, I started by sketching out an 80N force in the up and down direction, and I assume I either need to separate the x and y components for each string and/or use the parallelogram method. I am sure I am missing a basic step at that start that is not allowing me to solve this problem.

I am happy if just the steps are stated rather than the actuall maths as I would very much like to learn the steps for this type of problem as opposed to just having the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you know the lengths of three sides of a triangle, since you are given the distance between anchor points for the lines suspending the pot (100 cm) and the lengths of the two lines themselves (50 cm left, 75 cm right). If you use that old triggernometry, you can determine the interior angles of the triangle. Applying the weight of the pot at the common point where the wires meet, tensions will follow.

SteamKing said:
Well, you know the lengths of three sides of a triangle, since you are given the distance between anchor points for the lines suspending the pot (100 cm) and the lengths of the two lines themselves (50 cm left, 75 cm right). If you use that old triggernometry, you can determine the interior angles of the triangle. Applying the weight of the pot at the common point where the wires meet, tensions will follow.

Thanks :) I figured it would be something along those lines I am returning to study after a very long time so I seem to be forgetting a lot of basic steps at the moment.

1. What is the Tension Vector Problem?

The Tension Vector Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the tension in multiple ropes or cables that are connected to a single object or point. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the forces acting on a system.

2. How is the Tension Vector Problem solved?

The Tension Vector Problem is typically solved using vector analysis and the principles of equilibrium. This involves breaking down the forces acting on the system into their respective components and using mathematical equations to solve for the unknown tensions.

3. What are some real-world applications of the Tension Vector Problem?

The Tension Vector Problem has many practical applications, such as calculating the tension in suspension bridges, determining the weight limit for cranes, and analyzing the forces on a sailboat's rigging. It is also used in the design and construction of buildings and other structures.

4. What challenges are commonly faced when solving the Tension Vector Problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the Tension Vector Problem is accurately determining the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the system. This requires a thorough understanding of vector analysis and the ability to visualize the forces in a three-dimensional space.

5. How can the Tension Vector Problem be applied to everyday life?

While the Tension Vector Problem may seem like a complex mathematical concept, it can be applied to everyday situations. For example, when hanging a heavy object from multiple ropes, understanding the tensions in each rope can help ensure the object is safely supported. It can also be useful in understanding the forces involved in sports, such as rock climbing or sailing.