Tensions with boxes on a ramp.

• Thread starter DyslexicHobo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp
In summary: The other terms in the equation are all negative and so I'm guessing that the term for the tension of rope A is negative as well. I'm just not sure how to find it.
DyslexicHobo

Homework Statement

Each box weighs 40 lbs, the angles are measured relative to the horizontal. The surfaces are smooth (no friction). Determine the tension in rope A and the normal force exerted by box B by the incline.

Homework Equations

W = mg
ΣF_x = 0
ΣF_y = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the tension of rope C and then normal force exerted on box D by setting up a system of equations.

Solved, the tension equals 15.1 lb, and the normal force exerted is 33.1 lb.

Now I'm having trouble determining the normal force of B and the tension of rope A.

Attempting the solution:
ΣF_x = 0 = 15.1*cos(45) + N*sin(70) - T_a*cos(70)
ΣF_y = 0 = -15.1*sin(45) + N*cos(70) - T_a*sin(70) - 40

Solved using systems of equations, we found the normal force to be .0015lb (unreasonable), and the tension of A to be 31.2 lb (also unreasonable?).

I can't figure out where I went wrong to get this bad answer. Anyone spot some mistakes? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there supposed to be a picture attached?

Haha, yes, there is. I completely forgot to attach it. Why can't I edit my original post?

Here's the pic (see attached)

Attachments

• 3.17help.jpg
    3.17help.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 660
Last edited:
DyslexicHobo said:
Why can't I edit my original post?
You are only permitted to edit your posts for a maximum of one hour after they were originally posted.

Hi DyslexicHobo,

DyslexicHobo said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the tension of rope C and then normal force exerted on box D by setting up a system of equations.

Solved, the tension equals 15.1 lb, and the normal force exerted is 33.1 lb.

Now I'm having trouble determining the normal force of B and the tension of rope A.

Attempting the solution:
ΣF_x = 0 = 15.1*cos(45) + N*sin(70) - T_a*cos(70)
ΣF_y = 0 = -15.1*sin(45) + N*cos(70) - T_a*sin(70) - 40

The tension of rope A is upwards and so I believe the corresponding term in the y equation needs to be positive to match the other terms.

1. What causes the tensions in a box on a ramp?

The tensions in a box on a ramp are caused by a combination of the force of gravity pulling the box down the ramp and the normal force of the ramp pushing the box up. This creates a net force on the box, resulting in tension.

2. How do you calculate the tension in a box on a ramp?

To calculate the tension in a box on a ramp, you can use the formula T = mg*sin(theta), where T is the tension, m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle of the ramp.

3. Does the angle of the ramp affect the tension in a box?

Yes, the angle of the ramp does affect the tension in a box. As the angle of the ramp increases, the tension in the box also increases because the component of the weight of the box pulling down the ramp also increases.

4. How does the mass of the box affect the tension on a ramp?

The mass of the box does affect the tension on a ramp. As the mass of the box increases, the tension also increases because there is more force pulling the box down the ramp.

5. Can the tension on a ramp ever be greater than the weight of the box?

No, the tension on a ramp can never be greater than the weight of the box. The tension is always equal to the component of the weight of the box pulling down the ramp, and this component can never be greater than the total weight of the box.