1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensions with boxes on a ramp.

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Each box weighs 40 lbs, the angles are measured relative to the horizontal. The surfaces are smooth (no friction). Determine the tension in rope A and the normal force exerted by box B by the incline.

2. Relevant equations
    W = mg
    ΣF_x = 0
    ΣF_y = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the tension of rope C and then normal force exerted on box D by setting up a system of equations.

Solved, the tension equals 15.1 lb, and the normal force exerted is 33.1 lb.

Now I'm having trouble determining the normal force of B and the tension of rope A.

Attempting the solution:
    ΣF_x = 0 = 15.1*cos(45) + N*sin(70) - T_a*cos(70)
    ΣF_y = 0 = -15.1*sin(45) + N*cos(70) - T_a*sin(70) - 40

Solved using systems of equations, we found the normal force to be .0015lb (unreasonable), and the tension of A to be 31.2 lb (also unreasonable?).

I can't figure out where I went wrong to get this bad answer. Anyone spot some mistakes? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2
    Is there supposed to be a picture attached?
  4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    Haha, yes, there is. I completely forgot to attach it. Why can't I edit my original post?

Here's the pic (see attached)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  5. Sep 9, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are only permitted to edit your posts for a maximum of one hour after they were originally posted.
  6. Sep 10, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

Hi DyslexicHobo,

The tension of rope A is upwards and so I believe the corresponding term in the y equation needs to be positive to match the other terms.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?