Tensor algabra, dummy indices manipulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the manipulation of dummy indices in a product involving tensors, with the goal of proving a specific equation. The discussion includes tips and strategies for changing the indices and shuffling the terms to obtain the desired result. The participants also share their experiences with learning about tensors and general relativity.
roberto85

Homework Statement

Show by manipulating the dummy indices, that

(Z[tex]\underline{abc}[/tex] + Z[tex]\underline{cab}[/tex] + Z[tex]\underline{bca}[/tex])X[tex]\overline{a}[/tex]X[tex]\overline{b}[/tex]X[tex]\overline{c}[/tex] = 3Z[tex]\underline{abc}[/tex]X[tex]\overline{a}[/tex]X[tex]\overline{b}[/tex]X[tex]\overline{c}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This question comes from Ray D'Inverno's book - Introducing Einstein's Relativity and is on page 67 ex. 5.3

Physics news on Phys.org
roberto85 said:

Homework Statement

Show by manipulating the dummy indices, that

(Z[tex]\underline{abc}[/tex] + Z[tex]\underline{cab}[/tex] + Z[tex]\underline{bca}[/tex])X[tex]\overline{a}[/tex]X[tex]\overline{b}[/tex]X[tex]\overline{c}[/tex] = 3Z[tex]\underline{abc}[/tex]X[tex]\overline{a}[/tex]X[tex]\overline{b}[/tex]X[tex]\overline{c}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This question comes from Ray D'Inverno's book - Introducing Einstein's Relativity and is on page 67 ex. 5.3

The thing to realize about dummy indices is that they have no intrinsic meaning except that
they are to be summed over. Thus, in the product

[tex] z_{abc}x^a x^b x^c [/tex]

you can replace a with d and the meaning is the same. You might want to systematically replace each of your given letters with another letter and shuffle the x's around so that you can change back to a,b,c in the order you want.

AEM said:
The thing to realize about dummy indices is that they have no intrinsic meaning except that
they are to be summed over. Thus, in the product

[tex] z_{abc}x^a x^b x^c [/tex]

you can replace a with d and the meaning is the same. You might want to systematically replace each of your given letters with another letter and shuffle the x's around so that you can change back to a,b,c in the order you want.

Aren't tensors non-commutative? If so you couldn't 'shuffle' the x's as you say right?
I'm trying to solve this exercise but I get a little confused in what one is allowed or not to do with dummy indices...
I can't seem to get the indices in the right order because if I change an 'a' with a 'b' in the Z tensor, then I must change the letters in the x's. Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance...

Hi Roberto85,

I see you are having problems with the LateX editor on the forum too. I've given up and now have a LateX editor which produces nice PDFs like the one attached. Hope you find it useful.

Regards

TerryW

Attachments

• Roberto.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 391
Hi Roberto,

A few additional thoughts.

Regards

TerryW

Attachments

• Roberto2.pdf
    58.3 KB · Views: 369
TerryW said:
Hi Roberto,

A few additional thoughts.

Regards

TerryW

Hi Terry, thankyou so much for such a helpful and detailed post. I've saved the pdf's for future reference because i gave up on tensors for my relativity course but i still have the book and fully intend to learn about relativity in the future. :)

Hi Roberto,

Best of luck. I never did GR in my undergrad years but always wanted to understand it. I tried a couple of times during my working life to get to grips with it but never really had the time. I'm retired now and at last have had the chance to devote some time to it. I'm now up to Chapter 18 and have managed to crack all the problems except for about 4. I t was 8 at one time but I keep going back and having another look at them. As you go on, you just get a better feel for what is going on and then the answers pop up! So it might be many years before you get around to it but I'm sure you'll find it's worth it in the end.RegardsTerryW

FAQ: Tensor algabra, dummy indices manipulation

1. What is Tensor Algebra?

Tensor algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the operations and properties of tensors. Tensors are multi-dimensional arrays that generalize scalars, vectors, and matrices. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities such as forces, velocities, and stresses.

2. What are dummy indices in Tensor Algebra?

Dummy indices, also known as summation indices, are used in tensor algebra to indicate which components of a tensor are being summed over in a particular operation. They are typically represented by letters such as i, j, k, and can be repeated multiple times in an expression.

3. How are dummy indices manipulated in Tensor Algebra?

Dummy indices are manipulated according to certain rules in tensor algebra. These rules include the Einstein summation convention, which states that repeated dummy indices in a term imply summation over those indices, and the rule of index contraction, which states that when a dummy index appears twice in an expression, it is summed over all possible values.

4. What are some common operations in Tensor Algebra?

Some common operations in tensor algebra include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of tensors. There are also more advanced operations such as tensor products, contraction, and differentiation, which are used to manipulate and transform tensors in various ways.

5. How is Tensor Algebra applied in scientific research?

Tensor algebra is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and computer science. It is commonly applied in the development of mathematical models and simulations, as well as in data analysis and machine learning. It is also used in the study of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

Back