1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with signs in the Lorentz Transformation equations

1. Apr 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The following is Exercise 2.1 from from Ray d'Inverno's 'Introducing Einstein's Relativity.'

(a) Write down the Galilean transformation from observer ##S## to observer ##S'##, where ##S'## has velocity ##v_1## relative to ##S##.
    (b) Find the transformation from ##S'## to ##S## and state in simple terms how the transformations are related.
    (c) Write down the Galilean transformation from ##S'## to ##S''##, where ##S''## has velocity ##v_2## relative to ##S'##.
    (d) Find the transformation from ##S## to ##S''##.
    (e) Prove that the Gailiean transformations form an Abelian (commutative) group.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) My answer is $$x' = x - v_1 t,\ y'=y,\ z'=z,\ t'=t,$$ which matches with the textbook answer. So, no problem here.
    (b) My answer is $$x = x' + v_1 t,\ y=y',\ z=z',\ t=t',$$ which again matches with the textbook answer. So, no problem here.
    (c) My answer is $$x''=x'- v_2 t,\ y''=y',\ z''=z',\ t''=t',$$ but the textbook answer is $$x''=x'+ v_2 t,\ y''=y',\ z''=z',\ t''=t'.$$
    (d) My answer is $$x''=x- ( v_ 1 + v_2 ) t,\ y''=y,\ z''=z,\ t''=t,$$ but the textbook answer is $$x''=x+ ( v_ 1 + v_2 ) t,\ y''=y,\ z''=z,\ t''=t.$$

Can someone please tell me if my answers are wrong, or if the textbook answers are wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They way you put it the book is wrong and you are right.

It's a small miracle that you agree in a) and b) :wink: since both you and the book assume ##v_1## is along the x-axis of ##S## and ##S'##, and that both clocks and coordinate systems coincide at t = 0.

4. Apr 28, 2015 #3
    Alright, then, here's my attempt to part (e) of the question.

The group elements of the Galilean transformations are the velocities ##v## of ##S'## relative to ##S##.

Consider the boost from ##S## to ##S'##, and then the boost from ##S'## to ##S''##, so that ##x''=x- ( v_ 1 + v_2 ) t,## so that ##v = v_1 + v_2##. So, the group of Galilean transformations is closed.

Consider the boost from ##S## to ##S''##, and then the boost from ##S''## to ##S'''##, so that ##x''' = x'' - v_3 t = x - (v_1 + v_2 + v_3) t##. Also, consider the boost from ##S## to ##S'##, and then the boost from ##S'## to ##S'''##, so that ##x''' = x' - (v_2 + v_3) t = x - (v_1 + v_2 + v_3) t##. So, the group multiplication operation is associative.

##v = 0## is the identity element, because it transforms ##(x, y, z, t)## into ##(x, y, z, t)##.

##-v## is the inverse of ##v##, because the consecutive application of ##v## and ##-v## transforms ##(x, y, z, t)## into ##(x, y, z, t)##.

The above four properties prove that the Galilean transformations form a group.

Furthermore, consider a boost by velocity ##v_1##, and then a boost by velocity ##v_2##, so that ##x''' = x'' - v_2 t = (x' - v_1 t) - v_2 t = x' - (v_1 + v_2) t##. Also, consider a boost by velocity ##v_2##, and then a boost by velocity ##v_1##, so that ##x''' = x'' - v_1 t = (x' - v_2 t) - v_1 t = x' - (v_1 + v_2) t##. So, the group of Galilean transformations is Abelian (commutative).

Do you think my proof is correct?

5. Apr 28, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does it help if I say yes ? You really want to convince yourself, and it shouldn't make a difference if I say "well, it looks good to me !" (which I am perfectly happy to do, even if it probably is against PF rules ("we look at them more as guidelines :wink: ")

6. Apr 28, 2015 #5
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted