Tensor of Inertia for Half Disk: Calc Angular Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tensor of inertia for a half disk with mass M and then using it to calculate the angular momentum along the axis shown in the figure. The conversation also mentions applying Steiner's theorem and using the parallel axis theorem. The final result is a tensor of inertia given by:\begin{bmatrix}\frac{MR^{2}}{2} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{5MR^{2}}{4} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{3MR^{2}}{2}\end{bmatrix}However, this solution is questioned as it leads to a variation in angular momentum of 0 at constant rotation speed.
springo

Homework Statement

Find the tensor of inertia for a half disk with mass M and then use that to get the angular momentum along the axis in the figure.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5312/problemr.png

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia for the whole disk (with mass 2M)
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{MR^{2}}{2} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \frac{MR^{2}}{2} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & MR^{2}
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the tensor:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
0 & \frac{MR^{2}}{4} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \frac{MR^{2}}{2}
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
And the moment of inertia... I think I should apply Steiner's theorem, but I'm not quite sure how to apply it on a tensor.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem"

You take the displacement vector [tex]\mathbf{a}[/tex]

(written as a column vector) and form the matrix [tex] \mathbf{a}\mathbf{a}^\top[/tex]

The new moment of inertia tensor is then:
[tex] \mathbf{I}'=\mathbf{I} + M(|a|^2\mathbf{1} -\mathbf{a}\mathbf{a}^\top)[/tex]

[edited above, forgot the mass!]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.
OK, so assuming my "attempt at a solution" tensor was right, I get to the following tensor:

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & \frac{MR^{2}}{4} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \frac{MR^{2}}{2}
\end{bmatrix}
+\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & MR^{2} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & MR^{2}
\end{bmatrix}
=\begin{bmatrix}
0 & \frac{5MR^{2}}{4} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \frac{3MR^{2}}{2}
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

I think this can't be right because then when I try to find variation in the angular momentum (at constant rotation speed), I get 0.

Last edited:

1. What is a tensor of inertia?

A tensor of inertia is a mathematical representation of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It takes into account the mass distribution and shape of an object to determine its moment of inertia, which is a measure of how difficult it is to rotate the object.

2. Why is the tensor of inertia important for a half disk?

The tensor of inertia is important for a half disk because it allows us to calculate the object's angular momentum, which is a crucial quantity in rotational motion. It also helps us understand how the half disk will behave when subjected to different forces and torques.

3. How do you calculate the tensor of inertia for a half disk?

The tensor of inertia for a half disk can be calculated using the formula I = (1/4)MR², where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the half disk, and R is the radius of the disk. This formula takes into account the mass distribution and shape of the half disk.

4. What factors affect the tensor of inertia for a half disk?

The tensor of inertia for a half disk is affected by its mass, shape, and orientation. The mass and shape determine the moment of inertia, while the orientation affects the distribution of mass and how it contributes to the overall rotation of the object.

5. How does the tensor of inertia for a half disk relate to its angular momentum?

The tensor of inertia and angular momentum are closely related, as the tensor of inertia is used to calculate the angular momentum of an object. The larger the tensor of inertia, the more difficult it is for the half disk to change its rotational motion, resulting in a larger angular momentum.