Index Juggling: Angular Momentum Tensor & Inertia Tensor in 3D-Space

In summary, in 3D, you can write the inertia tensor as ##I^{jm}_{j}{}_{l} = x^{2} \delta^{m}{}_{l} - x^{m}x_{l}##.
sergiokapone
Lets consider the angular momentum tensor (here ##m=1##)
\begin{equation}
L^{ij} = x^iv^j - x^jv^i
\end{equation}
and rortational velocity of particle (expressed via angular momentum tensor)
\begin{equation}
v^j = \omega^{jm}x_m.
\end{equation}

Then

\begin{equation}
L^{ij} = x^ix_m\omega^{jm} - x^jx_m\omega^{im}
\end{equation}

Now we can lower indices near ##\omega## with metric tensor:
\begin{align}
\omega^{jm} = g^{jn}g^{mr}\omega_{nr} \\
\omega^{im} = g^{in}g^{mr}\omega_{nr}
\end{align}

So, we get

\begin{equation}
L^{ij} = \left( x^ix_mg^{jn}g^{mr} - x^jx_m g^{in}g^{mr}\right) \omega_{nr}
\end{equation}

So, we can conclude ##L^{ij} = I^{ijnr} \omega_{nr}##, the inertia tensor is

\begin{equation}
I^{ijnr} = x^ix_mg^{jn}g^{mr} - x^jx_m g^{in}g^{mr}
\end{equation}Common form of inertia tensor
\begin{equation}
I^i_j = \delta_j^i x^2 - x^ix_j
\end{equation}

So, my question, how can I get common form of inertia tensor ##I^i_j ## in case 3D-space based on my ##I^{ijnr} ## (if it correct, of course)?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the relation between L, I and omega for your "common form of I"? The indices don't match between that common form and your I with 4 indices.

Also, be aware of solving for tensors in contractions if these contractions involve (anti)symmetric tensors.

haushofer said:
What's the relation between L, I and omega for your "common form of I"? The indices don't match between that common form and your I with 4 indices.

Definition of angular momentum vector (##m = 1##)
\begin{equation}
L_l = \epsilon_{lij}x^iv^j
\end{equation}
(##L_l## dual to ##L^{ij} = x^iv^j - x^jv^i## tensor)

Rortational velocity of particle
\begin{equation}
v^j = \epsilon^{jrk}\omega_rx_k.
\end{equation}
(##\omega_r## dual to ##\omega^{jk}## antisymmetric tensor of angular velocity ##\epsilon^{jrk}\omega_r = \omega^{jk}##)

Substitute in the angular momentum definition
\begin{equation}
L_l = \epsilon_{lij}x^i\epsilon^{jrk}\omega_rx_k.
\end{equation}

Let us use the property of the Levi-Civita tensor:
\begin{equation}
\epsilon^{lij} = -\epsilon^{jli}
\end{equation}

then

\begin{equation}
L_l = - \epsilon_{jli}\epsilon^{jkr}x^ix_k\omega_r.
\end{equation}

Let us use another property of the Levi-Civita tensor:
\begin{equation}
\epsilon_{jli}\epsilon^{jkr} = \delta_l^k\delta_i^r - \delta_l^r\delta_i^k.
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
L_l = \left( \delta_l^r\delta_i^k - \delta_l^k\delta_i^r \right) x^ix_k\omega_r.
\end{equation}

Expand the brackets and take into account that ##\delta_i^r x^i = x^r##, ##\delta_l^k x_k = x_l## and ##\delta_i^k x^i = x^k##, we get
\begin{equation}
L_l = \left( \delta_l^r x^kx_k - x^rx_l\right) \omega_r,
\end{equation}

or

\begin{equation}
L_l = \left( \delta_l^r x^2 - x^rx_l\right) \omega_r,
\end{equation}

where inertia tensor
\begin{equation}
I_l^r = \delta_l^r x^2 - x^rx_l
\end{equation}

sergiokapone said:
\begin{equation}
I^{ijnr} = x^ix_mg^{jn}g^{mr} - x^jx_m g^{in}g^{mr}
\end{equation}

Common form of inertia tensor
\begin{equation}
I^i_j = \delta_j^i x^2 - x^ix_j
\end{equation}

So, my question, how can I get common form of inertia tensor ##I^i_j ## in case 3D-space based on my ##I^{ijnr} ## (if it correct, of course)?
In 3D there is no difference between upper and lower indices, and the metric is: [tex]g_{ij} = g^{ij} = \delta^{ij} = \delta_{ij} = \delta^{i}_{j}.[/tex] But even if you keep using upper and lower indices, "your tensor" is just [tex]I^{ijmn} = x^{i}x^{j} g^{mn} - x^{m}x^{j}g^{in}.[/tex] To obtain the inertia tensor from that, you just need to contract with [itex]g_{ij}[/itex]: [tex]g_{ij}I^{ijmn} = x^{2}g^{mn} – x^{m}x^{n} ,[/tex] or [tex]g_{ln}g_{ij}I^{ijmn} \equiv I^{jm}_{j}{}_{l} = x^{2} \delta^{m}{}_{l} - x^{m}x_{l} .[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes sergiokapone

1) What is index juggling in the context of angular momentum and inertia tensors?

Index juggling refers to the manipulation of indices in tensor equations to simplify or transform them into a more useful form. In the case of angular momentum and inertia tensors in 3D-space, index juggling is often used to convert between different coordinate systems or to express the tensors in a more compact or intuitive form.

2) How are the components of the angular momentum tensor related to the angular momentum vector?

The components of the angular momentum tensor are related to the angular momentum vector through the use of the Levi-Civita symbol, which is a mathematical object used to represent the cross product in three dimensions. Specifically, the components of the angular momentum vector can be obtained by taking the cross product of the angular momentum tensor with the unit vectors along the three coordinate axes.

3) What is the significance of the inertia tensor in 3D-space?

The inertia tensor represents the distribution of mass and moments of inertia of a rigid body in 3D-space. It is a crucial quantity in rotational dynamics, as it determines how a body will respond to external torques and how its motion will be affected by changes in its orientation.

4) How does the inertia tensor change under different coordinate transformations?

The inertia tensor is a rank-2 tensor, which means it has two indices. Under a coordinate transformation, the components of the inertia tensor will change according to the transformation rules for rank-2 tensors. In general, the inertia tensor will have a different form in different coordinate systems, but its physical properties, such as its eigenvalues and eigenvectors, will remain the same.

5) Can the inertia tensor be diagonalized and what is the significance of this?

Yes, the inertia tensor can be diagonalized, meaning it can be expressed in a coordinate system where all of its off-diagonal elements are zero. This is significant because it simplifies the equations of motion for a rigid body, making it easier to analyze its rotational motion. In this coordinate system, the principal axes of the inertia tensor correspond to the axes of maximum, minimum, and intermediate moments of inertia, which have important physical implications for the body's motion.