Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Tensor Products - Issue with Cooperstein, Theorem 10.3

1. Apr 3, 2016 #1
    I am reading Bruce N. Coopersteins book: Advanced Linear Algebra (Second Edition) ... ...

I am focused on Section 10.2 Properties of Tensor Products ... ...

I need help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 10.3 ... ... basically I do not know what is going on in the second part of the proof, after the isomorphism between ##X## and ##Y## is proven ... ... ... ...

Theorem 10.3 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=97465cbe0a1cc9eba2d5bd63d741f3fa.png

Question 1

In the above proof by Cooperstein, we read the following:

" ... ... ... it follows that ##S## and ##T## are inverses of each other and consequently##X## and ##Y## are isomorphic. ... ... ""

Surely, at this point the theorem is proven ... but the proof goes on ... ... ?

Can someone please explain what is going on in the second part of the proof ... ... ?

Question 2

In the above proof we read:

"... ... Then ##g (w_1, \ ... \ ... \ , w_t)## is a multilinear map and therefore by the universality of ##V## there exists a linear map ##\sigma (w_1, \ ... \ ... \ , w_t)## from ##V## to ##Y## ... ... "

My question is as follows:

What is meant by the universality of ##V##"and how does the universality of ##V## lead to the existence of the linear map ##\sigma## ... ... ?

Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The theorem is only proven at that point subject to proving the existence of the map ##S##, which has not yet been done. Note the words a little above that, which say 'We will prove the existence of a linear map ##S##....'
    The remainder of the proof after the statement '... are isomorphic' is the proof of the existence of ##S##.

4. Apr 3, 2016 #3
    Thanks Andrew ... appreciate your help as usual ...

Do you have an answer to my second question ..

Peter

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted