Proving Symmetric Tensor Equation: S=[0.5(T+TT)]

In summary, the homework statement is that S is a symmetric tensor and that ST=S. S:T=tr[STT] =tr[ST] means that if T is symmetric, then T=0. TR[SijTjk] shows that every tensor (with two indices) can be expressed as a sum of a symmetric and an antisymmetric tensor.
manicwhite

Homework Statement

S : T = S:[0.5(T+TT)]
S is a symetric tensor
show for any tensor T the above is valid

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what i think i know
ST=S
S:T=tr[STT] =tr[ST]
einstein notation
tr[SijTjk]
[SijTjk]ii
but i can't really see this leading to the LHS

so i changed tact

LHS=RHS
T=0.5(T+TT)
now i can see this being true if T was symetric but that isn't the question

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This is quite easy:
[tex]
S:\left(\frac{1}{2}(T+T^{T}\right) =\frac{1}{2}S^{ab}(T_{ab}+T_{ba})=\frac{1}{2}S^{ab}T_{ab}+\frac{1}{2}S^{ab}T_{ba}=\frac{1}{2}S^{ab}T_{ab}+\frac{1}{2}S^{ba}T_{ba}
[/tex]
The last follows as S is symmetric

manicwhite said:
S:T=tr[STT] =tr[ST]
einstein notation
tr[SijTjk]
[SijTjk]ii
This notation doesn't make sense. (That doesn't mean that I would be surprised if your book or your professor uses it or something very similar). This makes sense:

[tex]S:T=\operatorname{tr}(S^T T)=(S^T T)_{ii}=(S^T)_{ij}T_{ji}=S_{ji}T_{ji}[/tex]

Note that I'm just using your definition of S:T, the definition of trace, the definition of matrix multiplication, and the definition of the transpose. (And obviously the summation convention too).

hunt_mat's suggestion is an easy way to solve this problem. Another approach, which may be more useful in the long run, is to prove that

a) if S is symmetric and A is antisymmetric (i.e. Aij=-Aji), then SA=0. (The terms "skew symmetric", "skew" or "alternating" are often used instead of "antisymmetric").

b) Every tensor (with two indices) can be expressed as a sum of a symmetric and an antisymmetric tensor.

Part a) is an easy exercise that I suggest that you do. Part b) is obvious once you've seen the trick, but it can take some time to see it:

[tex]T=\frac{T+T^T}{2}+\frac{T-T^T}{2}[/tex]

As an example of how this can simplify things, consider the following proof of the identity [itex]\vec x\cdot(\vec x\times \vec y)[/itex]:

[tex]\vec x\cdot(\vec x\times \vec y)=x_i\varepsilon_{ijk}x_jy_k=0[/tex]

The conclusion is immediate, since [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] is antisymmetric in i and j (i.e. changes sign under an exchange of i and j), and xixj is symmetric in i and j.

thanks very, you have both been a great help.

it easy when you know how. hopefully i do know now and this will stick in my head.

the notation i used was my attempt to derive this myself. i actually found the final line"SijTij"quoted in my notes in the end

once again thanks very much
merry xamss

1. What is a symmetric tensor equation?

A symmetric tensor equation is an equation that involves tensors, which are objects that represent physical quantities and are often used in mathematical models of physical systems. In a symmetric tensor equation, the tensor on one side of the equation is equal to the same tensor on the other side, but with its components arranged in a different order.

2. What does the notation "T+TT" mean in the equation S=[0.5(T+TT)]?

The notation "T+TT" means that the tensor T is being added to its transpose, TT. The transpose of a tensor is a matrix representation of the same tensor, with its rows and columns interchanged.

3. How is the symmetric tensor equation S=[0.5(T+TT)] proved?

The symmetric tensor equation can be proved by showing that the components of the tensor S on one side of the equation are equal to the components of the same tensor on the other side, but arranged in a different order.

4. What is the significance of the constant 0.5 in the equation S=[0.5(T+TT)]?

The constant 0.5 is used to normalize the equation and ensure that the resulting tensor S is symmetric. Without this constant, the equation would not hold true for all possible values of T.

5. Can the symmetric tensor equation S=[0.5(T+TT)] be used in any physical systems?

Yes, the symmetric tensor equation can be used in various physical systems where tensors are used, such as in mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It is a fundamental equation that helps in solving problems and analyzing physical systems.