Terminal potential difference

In summary, when there is no current flow, the charges in a battery are trying to minimize their electrostatic potential energy while the source of EMF is trying to separate them, causing the terminal potential difference to differ from the EMF.
lha08

Homework Statement

I'm just wondering for a terminal potential difference in a battery, I know the formula is V= E-Ir where E=electromotive force and r is the internal resistance. But in my textbook, it says that when I=0, that doesn't mean that V is the same thing as E...it says 'the condition I=0 represents a balance between two opposing tendencies: The charges tend to minimize their electrostatic potential energy and the source of emf tends to separate them, and thereby to minimize some other form of energy, such as chemical bond energy.' I have trouble picturing what exactly they're trying to imply..could someone clear things up? Like I don't know what 'charges' they're talking about or how the emf is separating them if there's no current flow...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
When I=0, this means that the current in a circuit is zero, or in other words, no charge is flowing through the circuit. This means that the charges in the battery are not moving, because there is no current flow. In this situation, the charges tend to minimize their electrostatic potential energy, meaning that the charges will try to become as close together as possible. On the other hand, the source of EMF (electromotive force) is trying to separate them, because it is trying to minimize some other form of energy, such as chemical bond energy. This is why the terminal potential difference (V) is not equal to the EMF (E) when I=0.

What is terminal potential difference?

Terminal potential difference, also known as voltage, is the measure of electrical potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of a power source.

How is terminal potential difference measured?

Terminal potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the power source. The voltmeter measures the potential difference between the two terminals and displays the value in volts.

What factors affect terminal potential difference?

The terminal potential difference is affected by the current flowing through the circuit, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of power source being used. These factors all play a role in determining the amount of potential difference in a circuit.

Why is terminal potential difference important?

Terminal potential difference is important because it is what drives the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is also used to determine the amount of work that can be done by an electrical device or appliance.

How can terminal potential difference be changed?

Terminal potential difference can be changed by altering the current or resistance in a circuit, or by using a different type of power source. It can also be changed by adding additional components, such as resistors or capacitors, to the circuit.