Terminal Velocity: Solve Physics IA Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses an investigation in physics involving throwing balls of different masses from a height to observe terminal velocity. The formula for terminal velocity is mentioned and there is confusion about the slope of the inverse of the formula.
Markus Lervik
Hello,

I am finishing my IB internal assessment in physics. I have thrown four balls (with different masses, 400,450,475,500 grams) from a height, which is approximately 23 meters. My teacher told me to set up a graph which showed mass vs. vt^2.

He said that the inverse of M= ((1/2)(p)(C_d)(A) / (g)) x v^2 is the slope. I have problems making anything of this. Can someone please explain how to get up with the equation above?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
The purpose of the investigation was to see how terminal velocity acts on objects with different weight.

Moderator's note: moved to homework forum.

Markus Lervik said:
The purpose of the investigation was to see how terminal velocity acts on objects with different weight.

What is the formula for terminal velocity?

PeterDonis said:
What is the formula for terminal velocity?

v_terminal = (Sqrt(2mg)/(C*p_air*A))

Markus Lervik said:
He said that the inverse of M= ((1/2)(p)(C_d)(A) / (g)) x v^2 is the slope.
That is not the slope. The slope is either the ((1/2)(p)(C_d)(A) / (g)) part or its inverse. Which of those depends on how you assign mass and v2 to the x and y axes.

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity is balanced by the drag force of the fluid, resulting in a constant velocity.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

Terminal velocity can be calculated using the equation v = √(2mg/pAC), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, p is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the mass and shape of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the presence of external forces such as air resistance or gravity.

4. How does terminal velocity differ for different objects?

Terminal velocity will differ for different objects due to variations in mass, shape, and surface area. Objects with a larger surface area or lower mass will have a lower terminal velocity compared to objects with a smaller surface area or higher mass.

5. How does altitude affect terminal velocity?

At higher altitudes, where the air is less dense, terminal velocity will be lower due to the decreased drag force. This means that objects will take longer to reach their maximum velocity when falling from higher altitudes compared to lower altitudes.