Troubleshooting Textbook Answers: Identifying Accuracy and Sanity Check"

• Thread starter alingy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, The conversation is about a student struggling to make sense of the textbook answers and comparing them to their own attempts. There seems to be an error with one of the images and the explanations do not match the given graphs. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of proofreading a book.
alingy1
There is definitely something wrong with my textbook.
Could you tell if ANY of the answers are actually correct? I'm trying to compare with my answers, but it's just plain impossible to decipher if I'm going crazy or not...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 11.15.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 11.15.00 PM.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 498
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 11.15.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 11.15.18 PM.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 481
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 11.15.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 11.15.22 PM.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 479
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 11.15.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 11.15.26 PM.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 473
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 11.15.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 11.15.58 PM.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is 20.4's "answer."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 11.14.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 11.14.53 PM.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 475
Here is my attempt for 20.7. Could you please check this one? If I get it right, it probably means I get them all.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 369
*bump*

Did find your 2.7 picture, but could not find your reasoning as to why it should look like this. But I do get the same snapshot.
The book 2.4 snapshot picture seems to in error: by mistake they printed a copy of the history graph. (because the solution tekst matches the history picture)/

I can't make sense of any of the textbook answers.
E.g. look at 20.6. The explanation given says
the x=0 point of the medium first sees the negative portion of the pulse at t = 1
The given history graph shows no such thing. (Neither does the other history graph, 20.7.) The negative portion doesn't arrive until t = 4.
More generally, since all the graphs show displacements, and the waves are moving at constant speeds, the only differences between a history graph and a corresponding snapshot graph should be a possible left/right reversal and a possible left/right shift. Yet the answers for 20.5 and 20.6 do not match any of given graphs in that way.
The only one that looks sort of right is 20.7, but the answer is still wrong. At x=2, t=0 in the given (snapshot) graph, the displacement has been zero but is about to go positive. In the answer given at x=2, the displacement is 1 for t in the range -1 to +1.

haruspex said:
I can't make sense of any of the textbook answers.
I didn't check all of them, but it looks to me like some sort of printing error, for example the file names for the images (which as haruspex said would look very similar) have got mixed up.

If you ever try to proof-read a complete book, it's a lot to do harder than you might think. It's easy to "see what you expect to see", not what is actually on the page.

FAQ: Troubleshooting Textbook Answers: Identifying Accuracy and Sanity Check"

1. What are "Textbook Answers Problems"?

"Textbook Answers Problems" are questions or exercises found in a textbook that require students to apply the concepts and theories learned in the material to solve a specific problem. These problems are designed to assess students' understanding of the subject matter and reinforce their learning.

2. Why are "Textbook Answers Problems" important?

"Textbook Answers Problems" are important because they help students practice and apply what they have learned in a real-world scenario. These problems also allow students to identify any gaps in their understanding and provide an opportunity for them to ask questions and seek clarification.

3. How should I approach "Textbook Answers Problems"?

When tackling "Textbook Answers Problems," it is important to read the question carefully and identify what is being asked. Then, review the relevant concepts and theories in the textbook and apply them to the problem. It may also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps and double-check your work for accuracy.

4. What should I do if I can't solve a "Textbook Answers Problem"?

If you are struggling to solve a "Textbook Answers Problem," don't panic. Take a step back and review the material again. You can also seek help from your teacher, classmates, or online resources. It is important to not only find the correct answer but also understand the concept behind it.

5. How can I use "Textbook Answers Problems" to study effectively?

"Textbook Answers Problems" can be a valuable study tool if used effectively. Some tips for using these problems for studying include practicing regularly, reviewing any mistakes or incorrect answers, and seeking help when needed. You can also challenge yourself by creating your own problems based on the material to test your understanding.

Back