1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook of thermodynamics

1. Jan 16, 2009 #1
    Who can recommend some good thermodynamics textbooks? thanks

And I also wanna ask which book of statistical mechanics are good and accessible? thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2009 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach

CS

4. Jan 16, 2009 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Fermi's "Thermodynamics" is quite good.

Edit-oops, it's not a textbook. But it's still a very accessible book. And cheap (Dover edition).

5. Jan 16, 2009 #4
    "Heat and Thermodynamics" by Mark W. Zemansky and Richard H. Dittman

6. Jan 16, 2009 #5
    And I also wanna ask which book of statistical mechanics are good and accessible? thanks

7. Jan 16, 2009 #6
    I found Daniel V. Schroeder's Introduction to Thermal Physics an engaging and accessible introduction to both thermodynamics and basic statistical mechanics. I'm surprised to see so many Amazon reviews panning it, though some make the good point that it may not be best for self-study since it doesn't include answers/solutions to problems.

Of course, should you run into trouble with anything in whatever text you end up checking out, you know you can bring it to this site for help.

8. Jan 17, 2009 #7
    "Introductory Statistical Mechanics" by Roger Bowley and Mariana Sanchez

"Statistical Physics" by Franz Mandl

9. Jan 18, 2009 #8
    Thank u all for your kindly help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?