1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook question on power series

1. Dec 2, 2005 #1
    My textbook has an example on multiplication of power series.
    " Multiply the geometric series [tex] x^n[/tex] by itself to get a power series for [tex]1/(1-x)^2 [/tex] for |x|<1 "
    from this we get the [tex]c_{n}[/tex]=n+1
    O.K. I get that the coefficients are 1 for all n but why +1.
    Could someone please explain this to me if possible.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to multiply [tex] (1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + ...)(1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + ...)[/tex], so just try few examples first to see what's going on. The [tex]x^0[/tex] term is just [tex] 1*1 = 1[/tex], the [tex] x^1 [/tex] term is [tex] x*1+1*x = 2x [/tex], the [tex] x^2 [/tex] term is [tex] x^2*1 + x*x + 1*x^2 = 3x^2 [/tex], and the [tex] x^3 [/tex] is [tex] x^3*1 + x^2*x+x*x^2+1*x^3 =4x^3[/tex]. Now, can you begin to see a pattern forming?

Alternatively, you can just apply the formula for the coeffecients of the product series in terms of the coeffecients of the two original series. It looks something like [tex] c_k = \sum^k_{r=0} a_r b_{k-r}[/tex] where the a's and b's are the coeffecients of the original series, and the c's are coeffecients of the product series.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  4. Dec 2, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

Right call Physics Monkey:
    The formula for the Cauchy product of series as it is presented in this link.
    A quick version is:
    Suppose [itex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n[/itex] and [itex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_n[/itex] converge absolutely. Then
    [tex]\left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n\right) \left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_n\right) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n} a_{k}b_{n-k}[/tex] also converges absolutely.
    Alternately, look here, under the heading A Variant.
  5. Dec 3, 2005 #4
    O.K. I see what's going on now, thanks. But I still don't get how to get n+1 from [tex] c_k = \sum^k_{r=0} a_r b_{k-r}[/tex] without doing some multiplication. Please explain to me if you can.
  6. Dec 3, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

the answer to you above question

[tex]\left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n\right) \left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_n\right) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n} a_{k}b_{n-k}[/tex]

we have

[tex]\left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n\right) \left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n\right) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k}x^{n-k} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k+(n-k)} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^{n} \sum_{k=0}^{n} 1 = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+1) x^{n} [/tex]

where [itex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} 1 =n+1[/itex] is the answer to you above question.
  7. Dec 3, 2005 #6
    O.K. I getting close to understanding this. What puzzles me is the last sum. Do you put n+1 so the first term isn't 0? I think I'm missing some information to understand this.
  8. Dec 3, 2005 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We put n+1 because that is what it is... You're adding up the number 1, n+1 times, so the answer is n+1.

But what's wrong with just multiplying out the power series?

You can multiply (1+x+x^2+.....)(1+x+x^2+...)

and count and think and, well, it's just true.... there is nothing clever going on. to end up with x^n in the product you can only get it from multiplying x^r in the first and x^{n-r} and each of those multiplications contributes 1 to the coefficiant of x^n and there is one contributrion from each r as r goes from 0 to n so you get 1 added up n+1 times.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  9. Dec 3, 2005 #8
    I think I understand this no, just hvae to get some practice solving these kind of problems. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?