The Acceleration of a Block on an Incline Plane: Formula and Minimum Ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses an object of mass m hanging from a rope attached to a block of mass M on an incline plane. The first part of the conversation involves finding the block's acceleration and the minimum ratio m/M for the block to accelerate up the ramp. The correct expression for the block's acceleration and the mistake in the original calculation are discussed, and the correct answer is given. The conversation ends with the realization that this exact problem was on a recent exam, and the importance of checking and discussing solutions.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Can someone tell me if I did this right?

An object of mass m is hung from a rope that passes over a pulley at the top of a ramp and is attached to a block of mass M.

(a) Assume m is large enough that the block accelerates up the ramp. Find an expression for the block’s acceleration.

(b) From your result for part (a), determine the minimum ratio m/M such that the block, once moving, accelerates up the ramp.

(the diagram is simple, M is on the incline plane and m is hanging straight down)

[tex]a = \frac{Force}{mass}[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{Mg sin\theta + \mu Mg cos \theta -mg}{M}[/tex] (answer for part A)

Set the force equal to 0
[tex]Mg sin \theta + \mu Mg cos \theta - mg = 0[/tex]
[tex]Mg sin \theta + \mu Mg cos \theta = mg [/tex]

factor out Mg
[tex]Mg(sin \theta + \mu cos \theta) = mg[/tex]

the g's cancel

[tex]m = M(sin \theta + \mu cos \theta)[/tex]

[tex]m/M = sin \theta + \mu cos \theta[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
AWKWARDLY,the answer to poin b) is correct (the minimum value is the one u found),but the acceleration you find is incorrect,assuming the rope is inextensible (the same tension in it in every point)...

How about correcting your mistake?

Daniel.

Thanks, Dex.
I'm guessing that I should have M+m in the denominator of my first answer instead of simply M. They must accelerate at the same rate so should be treated as a single mass.

By awkardly, did you mean because I had to get the first part to get the second part?

Yes,exactly,you got the point perfectly.Well done!

Daniel.

Thanks, Dextercioby. I'd have turned it in as is if you didn't make me go back and look!

Good thing that u decided to check by posting it here.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Good thing that u decided to check by posting it here.

Daniel.

You couldn't be more right. We had a mid term today, and this exact problem, but with specific numbers, was on the exam. I'd have missed it had we not gone through it last night!

Related to The Acceleration of a Block on an Incline Plane: Formula and Minimum Ratio

1. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a block on an incline plane?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of a block on an incline plane is a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. How do you determine the minimum ratio of the height to length of the incline plane for the block to slide down?

The minimum ratio of the height to length of the incline plane for the block to slide down is determined by setting the acceleration equal to the minimum acceleration required for the block to overcome the force of friction. This can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force acting on the block.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a block on an incline plane?

The acceleration of a block on an incline plane is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the block, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the incline surface. The acceleration is also indirectly affected by the force of gravity and the normal force acting on the block.

4. Can the acceleration of a block on an incline plane be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a block on an incline plane can be negative if the incline is facing downwards and the block is moving in the opposite direction. This would indicate that the block is decelerating or slowing down.

5. How does the acceleration of a block on an incline plane compare to the acceleration of a block on a flat surface?

The acceleration of a block on an incline plane will always be less than the acceleration of a block on a flat surface, as the incline adds an additional force (friction) opposing the motion of the block. The angle of the incline and the coefficient of friction will also affect the magnitude of the acceleration.