The Acceleration of a Sliding Collar on a Shaft

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
eomama
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For the mechanism shown, determine the speed and magnitude of the acceleration of collar C in terms of b, θ, θ-dot, and θ-dot-dot.

Check the attached file for the diagram.

We are given the length b and angle θ.


Homework Equations



ΣF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution



I started conceptualizing this problem right now. However, I don't even know where to start. The mechanism moves in such a way that θ 'closes' to 0 (since the whole thing falls). But how would I go about describing that in terms of 'b' ? It'd be dope to get some help/hints :) I'll post my work as the discussion develops. Thank you :)
 
Attachments
  • Inge 3032-MakeupEx-Dec2016.docx
    Inge 3032-MakeupEx-Dec2016.docx
    39.5 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_3846.PNG
    IMG_3846.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 558
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ernesto, :welcome:

"Don't know where to start" doesn't pass the PF guidelines :rolleyes:
I'll get chastized for answering anyway instead of pressing the 'report' button :nb).

What coordinate system would be the most convenient ?
How do you express the position of C in terms of ##b## and ##\theta## ?