The Affine Connection components

In summary: All other components of the matrix would indeed be 0, as the Affine connection is not a tensor and does not have diagonal "1" terms like the metric tensor. In summary, the Affine connection, represented by the Christoffel symbols, follows the geodesic equation and has symmetric components in the lower two indices. The rest of the components in the matrix are 0 due to the nature of the Affine connection.
Radiohannah
Hello!

I have a few questions about how the Affine connection works.

I know the geodesic equation;

[tex]\Gamma^{\lambda}_{\mu \nu} = \frac{\partial x^{\lambda}}{\partial \xi^{\alpha}} \frac{\partial^{2} \xi^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\nu} \partial x^{\mu}}[/tex]

So, for example, if I had the expression

[tex]\ddot{t} + \frac{A'}{A} \frac{dr}{d \tau} \frac{dt}{d \tau} = 0[/tex]

I can read off

[tex]\Gamma^{t}_{rt} = \frac{A'}{2A}[/tex]

Where the expression is divided by 2 because they are off diagonal terms, since the subscript indices are not the same.

I am not sure how this then applies to the actual

[tex]\Gamma_{t}[/tex]

matrix. Should the

[tex]\Gamma^{t}_{rt} = \Gamma^{t}_{tr} [/tex] terms be exactly the same? Because in an example the

[tex]\Gamma^{t}_{tr} = \frac{A'}{2A} [/tex]

Whereas the

[tex]\Gamma^{t}_{rt} = \frac{A'}{2B} [/tex]

And I don't understand why there should be a different letter on the denominator, I had always thought that if they are off-diagonal terms they should be identical?? Is that not the case?

And finally, as for all of the other components in the matrix, would these all just be 0? I think that because, I know that the Affine connection is not a tensor, and so will not have diagonal "1" terms like the metric tensor, so all other terms must be 0? Is that true?
ie
[tex]\Gamma^{t}_{tt} = 0[/tex] ?

Many thanks in advance!

Hannah

Physics news on Phys.org
The Christoffell symbols are symmetric in the lower two indicies:

[tex]\Gamma^{a}{}_{bc}=\Gamma^{a}{}_{cb}[/tex]

So they should be the same. Check the reference.

jfy4 said:
The Christoffell symbols are symmetric in the lower two indicies:

It follows from the first equation by the commutativity of partial differentiation.

Related to The Affine Connection components

What is the Affine Connection in mathematics?

The Affine Connection is a geometric structure used in differential geometry to define a notion of parallel transport and to study curvature of manifolds. It is a generalization of the concept of a connection on a vector bundle.

What are the components of the Affine Connection?

The components of the Affine Connection are the Christoffel symbols, which represent the curvature and torsion of a manifold, and the metric tensor, which defines the inner product between tangent vectors.

How is the Affine Connection related to the Levi-Civita Connection?

The Levi-Civita Connection is a special case of the Affine Connection, where the metric tensor is used to define the inner product and the Christoffel symbols are symmetric. This connection is used to define the notion of parallel transport on a Riemannian manifold.

What is the significance of the Affine Connection in physics?

In physics, the Affine Connection plays a crucial role in general relativity, where it is used to define the covariant derivative and to study the curvature of spacetime. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as gauge theories and string theory.

How is the Affine Connection calculated?

The Affine Connection can be calculated using the metric tensor and the Christoffel symbols, which can be obtained from the metric tensor using the formula: Γλμν = 1/2 gλρ ( ∂gμν / ∂xρ + ∂gνρ / ∂xμ - ∂gμν / ∂xρ ). The Christoffel symbols can also be calculated from the metric tensor using the formula: Γλμν = 1/2 gλρ ( ∂gμν / ∂xρ + ∂gνρ / ∂xμ - ∂gρμ / ∂xν ).