The angle between two horizontal forces?

In summary, the equation is F_n_e_t_x = -F_1 + F_2\cos(\theta). Well I am not sure what I did wrong because neither 140 or 220 degrees is correct. Is the equation supposed to be F_n_e_t_x = -F_1 + F_2\cos(\theta)? Hopefully someone can show me where I went wrongI also get that the angle between them is 140.06 degrees.Thanks guys, the answer WAS 140 degrees :rofl: . I thought I had tried that answer before I tried 220, but I only tried 220 :grumpy: Thanks for making my physics experience a little better :
zcm5000
I need help with this problem (my work is at the bottom):

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9823/physicsquestiondd9.jpg

Here is what I tried:

[tex]a_x[/tex] from graph = 3 m/s^2

[tex]Fnetx[/tex] = m* [tex]a_x[/tex]

[tex]F_n_e_t_x[/tex] = 3.9 N

[tex]F_n_e_t_x[/tex] = -3 + [tex]F_2*\cos(\theta)[/tex]

6.9 = 9.0*[tex]\cos(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\cos(\theta)[/tex] = 0.7667
[tex]\theta[/tex] = 39.9 degrees from x-axis
degrees between forces = 180+39.9 = 219.9 degrees

This is wrong and I've been trying to figure out what to do for a long time so I'm hoping someone can help me out please? :confused: Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Typically you use the smaller angle between two things. Have you tried that?

zcm5000 said:
degrees between forces = 180+39.9 = 219.9 degrees

This is wrong and I've been trying to figure out what to do for a long time so I'm hoping someone can help me out please? :confused: Thanks

If the force F1 points in the negative x direction, and F2 has an angle of 39.9 with the positive x direction, then the angle between them is 90 + (90 - 39.9) = 180 - 39.9 = 140.1 degree, unless I missed something.

radou said:
If the force F1 points in the negative x direction, and F2 has an angle of 39.9 with the positive x direction, then the angle between them is 90 + (90 - 39.9) = 180 - 39.9 = 140.1 degree, unless I missed something.

Yes, I believe that is right. However, I tried inputting 140 and it is incorrect. I am unsure if [tex]F_1[/tex] is actually going at 180 degrees. It only says it is going in the negative x direction? Also, I am unsure if I am setting up the equation correctly, and also if I am supposed to use [tex]F_2\cos(\theta)[/tex].

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Last edited:
zcm5000 said:
Yes, I believe that is right. However, I am unsure if [tex]F_1[/tex] is actually going at 180 degrees. It only says it is going in the negative x direction? Also, I am unsure if I am setting up the equation correctly, and also if I am supposed to use [tex]F_2\cos(\theta)[/tex].

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Using [tex]F_{2} \cos(\theta)[/tex] is correct, since [tex]\vec{F}_{2}[/tex] makes some angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the x axis. Further on, [tex]\vec{F}_{1}[/tex] is not 'going' at 180 degrees. It is a simple calculation of the angle between the two force vectors, and 180 arises in it.

radou said:
Using [tex]F_{2} \cos(\theta)[/tex] is correct, since [tex]\vec{F}_{2}[/tex] makes some angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the x axis. Further on, [tex]\vec{F}_{1}[/tex] is not 'going' at 180 degrees. It is a simple calculation of the angle between the two force vectors, and 180 arises in it.

Well I am not sure what I did wrong because neither 140 or 220 degrees is correct. Is the equation supposed to be [tex]F_n_e_t_x[/tex] = [tex]-F_1[/tex] + [tex]F_2\cos(\theta)[/tex]? Hopefully someone can show me where I went wrong

Last edited:
I also get that the angle between them is 140.06 degrees.

Thanks guys, the answer WAS 140 degrees :rofl: . I thought I had tried that answer before I tried 220, but I only tried 220 :grumpy: Thanks for making my physics experience a little better :rolleyes:

At least I understand why I got that answer now

What is the angle between two horizontal forces?

The angle between two horizontal forces is the angle formed by the two forces when they intersect at a point on a horizontal plane.

How is the angle between two horizontal forces calculated?

The angle between two horizontal forces can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent. The specific calculation method depends on the given information about the magnitude and direction of the forces.

What does the angle between two horizontal forces indicate?

The angle between two horizontal forces indicates the direction and magnitude of the resulting force when the two forces are combined. It can also indicate the direction in which an object will move when both forces are applied to it.

Can the angle between two horizontal forces be negative?

Yes, the angle between two horizontal forces can be negative if the forces are acting in opposite directions. In this case, the angle would be measured clockwise from the positive x-axis.

Why is the angle between two horizontal forces important?

The angle between two horizontal forces is important in understanding how multiple forces act on an object and their resulting effects. It is also important in calculating the net force and determining the equilibrium of an object.