1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The approximate orientation of an electric field

1. Feb 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On the image, the left stick has a positive charge and the one of the right has a negative one. (Unirformed charge for each) Give the approximate orientation of the electric fields at the points A, B, C, D by using cardinal orientation.

http://imgur.com/uWW7JJH
    uWW7JJH.png [Image inserted by moderator]
    2. Relevant equations

Just adding up electric fields

3. The attempt at a solution

A : There are two vectors, one that is pointing towards A by the North/East by going "out" of the positive stick and another one that is pointing towards the negative stick towards the South/East. When we add them we have a field pointing towards the East.

B: There is a small vector pointing towards the West going out of the positive stick and there is another bigger vector going towards the East from the point B to the the negative stick. Vector addition gives us a vector towards the East.

C : Same thing, towards the East

D: One vector is going out of the positive stick and towards D in the south/East. Another is going towards the negative stick from D towards the North/East. We add them and we obtain a vector towards the East.

To be honest, I'm not sure about C and D. A and D I think I got them right.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would the positive stick produce a smaller field at B compared to the negative stick?

Parts A and D look good.

4. Feb 25, 2016 #3
    You're right, I looked at the problem purely from a geometrical point of view. I finally understood the problem and solved it. Thanks

5. Feb 25, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted