1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Book of Everything?

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    I was wondering if there are any books covering a large amount of topics in a broad subject like Physics. Like a book that goes from basic physics and builds on that and moves into more advanced topics like relativity, etc.

Anyone know of a book like that (any subject really, it doesn't have to be physics) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2
    You mean a book that's very light, but just so that you're able to touch a bit of everything without going into detail? Or a dense book that covers many of the topics in the key areas with the additional restriction of rigor?

4. Mar 11, 2009 #3
    I think you would like "Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose.

5. Mar 11, 2009 #4
    Basic Concepts of Physics by Chalmers Sherwin. Should be in many university libraries. Covers mechanics, relativity, E&M, QM, and stat mech. What's really interesting about this book is how numerical computation is emphasized.

Malcolm Longair, Theoretical Concepts in Physics.

Ian D. Lawrie, A Unified Grand Tour of Theoretical Physics.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  6. Apr 7, 2009 #5
    I found a mint copy of Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose in a second hand bookstore for £2.

I'm finding it a bit challenging at the moment...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook