• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Hmm..
I know of Rachmaninoff, Borodin and some guy whose name starts with a G...

arildno said:
Hmm..
I know of Rachmaninoff, Borodin and some guy whose name starts with a G...
Who would you say is the most famous Russian composer of all?

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Oh dear, it's Tschaikovsky, right?
(It fits with him being neurotic)

Last edited:
arildno said:
Oh dear, P.T., right?
Correct. He once wrote a letter (don't know to whom) confessing that while he was recently conducting he had to use his non-baton hand to hold his head from floating up and off his body. Terrific stage fright.

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
Vocalists, and I used to know quite a few, speak of the human voice as an "instrument" like any in the orchestra. I often heard them things like "My instrument isn't suited for that piece. That piece needs a lighter instrument."
Pretentious twonks!

brewnog said:
Pretentious twonks!
Operatic circles are where the term "diva" originated.

zoobyshoe said:
7. This famous 20th century pianist's recording carrear was punctuated by an exceptionally satisfying symmetry
doh! now I get it. although glenn gould recorded the goldberg variations in 1954 (for cbc, a recording that nobody knows about) it was his 1955 recording that made him famous. the goldberg variation were also the last thing he recorded, completed a couple months before he died in ~1981.

Correct, fourier jr!

zoobyshoe said:
Same here. I've never actually sat through an entire opera.
What I recommend for those who are uninitiated to opera, is usually "I Pagliacci". It's very short, quite melodic and has an interesting plot.

KM

Kenneth Mann said:
What I recommend for those who are uninitiated to opera, is usually "I Pagliacci". It's very short, quite melodic and has an interesting plot.
I'm not what you'd call "uninitiated". I attended Oberlin College, which you may know has a fairly prestigious conservatory of music. I did alot of tech work on Operas, and knew half the voice majors in the conservatory. When I said I've never sat through a whole one, it wasn't for lack of oportunity. It was a deliberate choice. I just can't warm up to those silly plots, and get exited about the whole opera atmosphere as some people do.

Strangely, or maybe not so strangely, I absolutely love Gilbert and Sullivan. But, of course, that is supposed to be silly.