Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The commercial toy, Levitron, can achieve stable magnetic levitation

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1
    The commercial toy, Levitron, can achieve stable magnetic levitation due to gyroscopic stabilization and axis precesion. The Levitron toy sold in market has a vertical spinning axis, and so far I have not found a variation with horizontal axis.

Is it allowed in Earnshaw's theorem, for a magnetic system to have stable levitation, just by rotation alone, in a horizontal spinning axis?

Thanks in advanced.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

Re: Levitron

Not familiar with Earnshaw's Theorem (will look it up later), but a horizontally rotating levitron would have its positive and negative polls alternately pointing toward the magnet beneath. This would not levitate, asthe equall times of being attracted and repelled by the base would cancel out, and gravity would assert itself.

4. Apr 16, 2009 #3

True, the magnetic configuration of Levitron doesn't allow it to rotate on horizontal axis. I did try other magnetic configuration but it doesn't work out as well.

However, can we generalize, that for ANY magnetic configuration, the system wouldn't be able to levitate stably and rotating on horizontal axis?

5. Apr 16, 2009 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

I believe it is a fair generalization. The nature of magnetic levitation requires a vertical force that holds constant. That would seem to dictate the need for both the base and the levitating object to remain vertically stable. I, at least, can think of no way around that (although my imagination is admittedly quite limited).

6. Apr 16, 2009 #5

LURCH

Science Advisor

OK, a few minutes of thinking did yield a tantalizing possibility. If both the levitator and the base were revoling at the same rate, so that like poles always faced one another, that might work. Ity would be a nightmare to try to impliment, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook