The Constant of Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses a difference in the way a differential equation is solved between the individual and the AP physics exam's rubric. The individual's solution involves a constant of integration, while the rubric's solution does not, leading to confusion and a discussion on the use of constants in integration.
fizzacist
While taking an AP physics practice exam, I encountered a difference in the way I solve a differential equation and the way the exam's rubric solves it.

The equation is as follows:

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{F-KV}{m}[/itex]

My solution:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dv}{F-KV}[/itex] = [itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\frac{dt}{m}[/itex]

u = F-KV

[itex]\frac{du}{-K}[/itex] = dv

[itex]\frac{-1}{K}[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{u}[/itex]du = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dt}{m}[/itex]

Integrate that to find

ln|F-KV|+C = -K[itex]\frac{t}{m}[/itex]

But before I go any further, the 1993 Exam's Rubric shows that by integrating [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dv}{F-KV}[/itex] should yield ln|F-KV|-lnC

To me, this makes no sense. The constant of integration should be ln|u| + C, not ln|u|-lnC

Here's what I'm talking about:
http://imgur.com/c83p1
I've also attached the '93's rubric to this post. The problem I'm referring to is problem #2.

Can any of the math/physics gurus out there help me out? :P
Thanks

Attachments

• RBCII_93.PDF
    130.7 KB · Views: 176
Physics news on Phys.org
fizzacist said:
To me, this makes no sense. The constant of integration should be ln|u| + C, not ln|u|-lnC
What's the difference? :confused:

Maybe you're confused because you're using C for two different things. Try comparing
  • ln|u| + D, and
  • ln|u|-lnC

Call your constant of integration K (remember K is completely arbitrary). Now define another constant C by K = -lnC. This gives the formula in the book. Since C is also completely arbitrary, it doesn't matter.

Ahh. Got it. :P

for bringing this issue to my attention! I can understand your confusion about the constant of integration in this particular problem. The constant of integration is a fundamental concept in calculus and it plays an important role in solving differential equations. In this case, the constant of integration represents the unknown initial condition of the system.

It is important to note that the constant of integration can take on different forms depending on the method of integration used. In your solution, you used the substitution method to solve the differential equation, which resulted in ln|F-KV|+C. However, the rubric for the 1993 exam used the method of partial fractions, which resulted in ln|F-KV|-lnC.

Both solutions are mathematically correct and yield the same general solution to the differential equation. The difference lies in the interpretation of the constant of integration. In your solution, the constant of integration represents the initial condition of the system, while in the rubric's solution, the constant of integration represents the integration constant that arises from using partial fractions.

In conclusion, there is no need to be concerned about this difference in notation. As long as the solution is mathematically correct and yields the same general solution, it is acceptable. The important thing is to understand the concept of the constant of integration and how it relates to the initial condition of the system in your particular problem. Keep up the good work in your AP physics studies!

Related to The Constant of Integration

1. What is the Constant of Integration?

The Constant of Integration is a term used in mathematics, specifically in calculus, to represent the unknown constant in an indefinite integral. It is often denoted by the letter C and is added to the antiderivative to account for all possible solutions to the given problem.

2. Why is the Constant of Integration necessary?

The Constant of Integration is necessary because when finding an indefinite integral, there are infinitely many solutions that could satisfy the derivative. Including the Constant of Integration allows for all of these solutions to be accounted for and represented.

3. Can the Constant of Integration be a specific value?

Yes, the Constant of Integration can be a specific value. In some cases, the problem may have initial conditions or specific information that allows for the Constant of Integration to be determined. However, in most cases, it is left as a variable to represent all possible solutions.

4. How is the Constant of Integration determined?

The Constant of Integration is determined by using the given information in the problem. If there are no initial conditions or specific values given, then the Constant of Integration is left as a variable. If there are initial conditions, they can be substituted into the antiderivative to solve for the Constant of Integration.

5. Can the Constant of Integration be negative?

Yes, the Constant of Integration can be negative. It is simply a placeholder for any constant value that needs to be added to the antiderivative to represent all possible solutions. The value of the Constant of Integration can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the problem.