The continuity property of probability

In summary, the conversation is discussing the significance of moving the limit inside the brackets when evaluating the probability of an increasing or decreasing sequence of events. The speaker is questioning the need for a proof and seeking intuition on why this operation is necessary. There are two possible answers: 1) mathematically, the two sides represent different operations and require proof to show they are equivalent, and 2) intuitively, the special case of an increasing or decreasing sequence of events may have a different outcome than a general sequence of events, and the proof is addressing this difference. The conversation also raises the question of whether the result is always true for any sequence of events.
Appleton
If (E[itex]_{n}[/itex])) is either an increasing or decreasing sequence of events, then
lim n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞ P(E[itex]_{n}[/itex]) = P(lim n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞ (E[itex]_{n}[/itex]))

This seems to be saying that the limit as n goes to infinity of the probability of an increasing or decreasing sequence of events is equal to the probability as n goes to infinity of an increasing or decreasing sequence of events. I can't see a significant difference that merits the kind of proofs I see in the textbooks. What is the significance of moving the limit inside the brackets? Clearly I'm missing something. Could someone give me some intuition on this please?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are different ways to answer this.

1. Mathematically, the two sides of the equation represent different operations, so a proof is required to show that they give you the same thing. On the left, you are looking at a limit of probabilities. On the right you are looking at one probability evaluated on a set that is a limit of sets. This equation is not one of the basic assumptions of probability theory; therefore, it demands proof.

2. Why intuitively? Suppose the sequence is decreasing down to the empty set. In that case, the right hand side is the probability of the empty set which is 0. However, the left side represents a limit of probabilities of nonempty events (i.e. positive probabilities). How do you know that there is not some kernel of positive probability that lies inside every nonempty set E_n and that prevents the probability of E_n from converging down to 0. That is more or less what the proof is addressing.

Appleton said:
. I can't see a significant difference that merits the kind of proofs I see in the textbooks.

Suppose [itex] \{E_n\} [/itex] is a sequence of events (not necessarily an increasing or decreasing sequence of events). Is the result necessarily true? If not, then something needs to be proven about why the special case of an increasing or decreasing sequences of events implies the result.

Related to The continuity property of probability

What is the continuity property of probability?

The continuity property of probability is a mathematical concept that states that as the number of trials in an experiment increases, the probability of an event occurring approaches a certain value. This value is known as the theoretical probability and is often represented by a decimal or fraction between 0 and 1.

Why is the continuity property of probability important?

The continuity property of probability is important because it allows us to make predictions about the likelihood of an event occurring based on the results of a large number of trials. It also helps us understand the behavior of probability in continuous situations, such as in the case of random variables.

How is the continuity property of probability related to the law of large numbers?

The continuity property of probability is closely related to the law of large numbers, which states that as the number of trials in an experiment increases, the experimental probability of an event will approach the theoretical probability. This means that the more trials we conduct, the closer our results will be to the true probability of an event.

Can the continuity property of probability be applied to all types of experiments?

Yes, the continuity property of probability can be applied to all types of experiments, whether they involve discrete or continuous outcomes. It is a fundamental property of probability and is applicable to a wide range of scenarios, from simple coin flips to more complex statistical analyses.

How does the continuity property of probability affect the interpretation of experimental results?

The continuity property of probability is important to consider when interpreting experimental results. It reminds us that the results of a single trial may not accurately represent the true probability of an event, and that more trials are needed to make reliable predictions. This helps to avoid drawing incorrect conclusions from limited data.