Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The CT complex exponential is NOT periodic

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    I'm taking a signals and systems class and the textbook (Signals and systems by Oppenheim) says the CT complex exponential of the form x(t) = C eat with C and a complex is a periodic signal. I fail to see how.

Let C = |C| e (exponential form of a complex number)
    and a = r + jω (rectangular form)

Plugging into x(t) = C eat, and using euler's formula

x(t) = |C| ert * [cos(α+ωt) + j sin(α+ωt)]

What's inside the brackets is obviously periodic but the whole function is obviously not because of the ert term...

A function is periodic if there exists a T such as x(t) = x(t+T) for any t, and obviously there isn't any such T for the CT complex exponential...

Any clarifications?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2
    I can only suggest you revise Euler's formulae. You have one too many exponentials in your expression.

eiθ = cosθ + i sinθ

go well

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    If the formula is from the book, I don't see how. If it is not from the book, can you type out the exact formulas given by the book?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. Feb 9, 2012 #4
    x(t) = C eat with C and a complex numbers

If C is a complex number, it can be written as |C| e where |C| is the magnitude of C (nothing fancy here, its just the exponential form of a complex number)

If a is a complex number, it can be written as r + jω (nothing fancy again, this is the rectangular form of a complex number)

Plugging back
    x(t) = C eat
    = |C| e * e(r+jω)t
    = |C| e * ert * ejωt
    = |C| ert *ej(α+ωt)
    = |C| ert *[ cos(α+ωt) + j sin(α+ωt) ]

This is not periodic...

6. Feb 9, 2012 #5
    OK, I miss read [itex]\alpha[/itex] as "a". That's cause the confusion. It looks good to me!!!

[tex]x(t)=C e^{at}=|C|e^{j\alpha}e^{rt+j\omega t}=|C|e^{j\alpha}e^{rt}e^{j\omega t}=|C|e^{rt} e^{j(\alpha+\omega t)}[/tex]

[tex] e^{j(\alpha + \omega t)}=\cos (\alpha + \omega t) + j\sin(\alpha + \omega t) [/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow \;x(t)=|C|e^{rt}[\cos (\alpha + \omega t) + j\sin(\alpha + \omega t) ][/tex]

If r is a negative number, the amplitude decrease with time and the signal decay.
    If r is positive, then the signal grow with time and most likely you got a problem!!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook