The curious question of the leaping kangaroo

• Thread starter zoogies
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary, the problem involves a kangaroo exerting a constant force on the ground in the first 60 cm of its jump and rising 2 m higher. When carrying a baby kangaroo, the kangaroo can only rise 1.8 m higher. The question is asking for the mass of the baby kangaroo. The constant force during the first 60 cm of the jump is due to the kangaroo crouching down and then straightening its legs, without actually leaving the ground. The center of mass moves upward by 0.6 m and will rise 2 m high without the baby.
zoogies
A friend sent me this problem over IM. I've never seen anything quite like this before and even after she explained it (albeit a rushed explanation), I still have little idea what parts of the problem mean, much less how the answer was arrived at.
The problem is this:
A 40 kg kangaroo exerts a constant force on the ground in the first 60 cm of her jump, and rises 2 m higher. When she carries a baby kangaroo in her pouch, she can rise only 1.8 m higher. What is the mass for the baby kangaroo?
So, first of all, what does it mean to exert a force in the first 60cm of a jump? I can understand easily exerting a force for six seconds, or six milliseconds. But first 60cm? Does the kangaroo somehow exert a constant force on the ground even after she is 60cm in the air? Does the velocity time graph during this period of constant force then look something like so:

Code:
/

in that at first the net force (force of her jump minus mg) carries her continually upward until the area beneath the curve is 0.6m, and thereafter it becomes the graph of an object in free fall?

(update)

Uhm, apparently, the 0.6m motion is from when the kangaroo is crouching down to when the legs are fully straightened, so the kangaroo has not left the ground in any way. Also apparently, there are initial and final velocities associated with that, although I can't imagine how, if the kangaroo doesn't...actually...move...does it? x.x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zoogies said:
Uhm, apparently, the 0.6m motion is from when the kangaroo is crouching down to when the legs are fully straightened, so the kangaroo has not left the ground in any way. Also apparently, there are initial and final velocities associated with that, although I can't imagine how, if the kangaroo doesn't...actually...move...does it? x.x
The feet stay on the ground while the center of mass moved upward by 0.6 m, and it will rise 2 m high without the baby...
ehild

I can help clarify the concept of force and its role in the kangaroo's jump. When the kangaroo is crouching down, it is exerting a constant force on the ground in order to push off and jump upwards. This force is what allows the kangaroo to overcome the force of gravity and rise 2m in height. The 60cm refers to the distance over which this constant force is exerted.

When the kangaroo carries a baby in her pouch, the extra mass affects the amount of force she can exert on the ground, resulting in a lower jump height of 1.8m. By using the principles of force and motion, we can calculate the mass of the baby kangaroo by setting up equations and solving for the unknown variable.

It is important to note that the velocity-time graph will look different for the kangaroo's jump with and without the baby. The initial and final velocities will also vary in each scenario.

I hope this helps clarify the problem and the role of force in the kangaroo's jump. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Science is all about asking questions and seeking answers, so don't hesitate to reach out for more information.

1. What causes a kangaroo to leap?

The leaping ability of a kangaroo is mainly due to their powerful hind legs and long feet. The muscles in their legs, particularly the large tendon in their hind legs, act like a spring, allowing them to propel themselves forward.

2. Can all kangaroos leap?

While all kangaroos have the physical ability to leap, not all species of kangaroos commonly use this method of locomotion. Some species, such as the tree kangaroo, are adapted to climbing and do not rely on leaping as much as other kangaroo species.

3. How high can a kangaroo leap?

The height of a kangaroo's leap can vary depending on the species and individual. On average, a kangaroo can jump up to 6 feet in the air, but some have been recorded to jump up to 10 feet!

4. Do kangaroos only leap forward?

Kangaroos are capable of leaping in any direction, including backwards and sideways. This allows them to quickly evade predators or navigate through their environment. However, they are most commonly seen leaping forward in a bounding motion.

5. Is leaping the only way kangaroos move?

No, leaping is not the only way kangaroos move. They are also capable of walking, hopping, and even using their front legs to crawl. Leaping is just their most distinctive and efficient form of movement.