The derivatived of a periodic function

In summary, a function's periodic derivative does not necessarily mean that the function itself is periodic. A counterexample can be shown with the function f(x) = sin(x) + x, whose derivative is periodic but the function itself is not. This counterexample disproves the claim that if a function's derivative is periodic, then the function itself must also be periodic.
barthayn

Homework Statement

A function f(x) has periodic derivative. In other words, f'(x +p) = f'(x) for some real value of p. Is f(x) necessarily periodic? Prove or give a counterexample.

I believe it is true simply because of trigonometric functions. However, I do not know how to prove it. I want to claim if the derivative is periodic than the anti-derivative is also periodic. However, I don't think that is good enough. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
barthayn said:

Homework Statement

A function f(x) has periodic derivative. In other words, f'(x +p) = f'(x) for some real value of p. Is f(x) necessarily periodic? Prove or give a counterexample.I believe it is true simply because of trigonometric functions. However, I do not know how to prove it. I want to claim if the derivative is periodic than the anti-derivative is also periodic. However, I don't think that is good enough. Any hints?

Of course that isn't good enough; you are just stating the conclusion with no proof.

Hint: Call G(x) = f(x+p)-f(x). Then calculate G'(x) and see if that leads you anywhere. (Keep an open mind)

LCKurtz said:
Of course that isn't good enough; you are just stating the conclusion with no proof.

Hint: Call G(x) = f(x+p)-f(x). Then calculate G'(x) and see if that leads you anywhere. (Keep an open mind)

taking G'(x)= would only give f'(x+p)-f'(x) correct? How is this proof of the claim? Don't you have to prove it for all cases of the situation?

barthayn said:
taking G'(x)= would only give f'(x+p)-f'(x) correct? How is this proof of the claim? Don't you have to prove it for all cases of the situation?

Don't try to prove it's true. It's not. Try to find a counterexample. Sure f'(x+p)-f'(x) is zero. The derivative of a function being zero doesn't show that the function is zero.

Dick said:
Don't try to prove it's true. It's not. Try to find a counterexample. Sure f'(x+p)-f'(x) is zero. The derivative of a function being zero doesn't show that the function is zero.

I don't understand how it could not be true. All the functions that were periodic had a derivative that was also periodic that we had taken up so far in class. I can only think that sin(x^-1) = e(x) that e'(x) would not be periodic simply because e(x) has not period but is periodic.

barthayn said:
I don't understand how it could not be true. All the functions that were periodic had a derivative that was also periodic that we had taken up so far in class. I can only think that sin(x^-1) = e(x) that e'(x) would not be periodic simply because e(x) has not period but is periodic.

Try and follow LCKurtz's hint. If g(x)=f(x+p)-f(x) then g'(x)=f'(x+p)-f'(x)=0. Does that mean g(x) is zero? What else could it be?

Dick said:
Try and follow LCKurtz's hint. If g(x)=f(x+p)-f(x) then g'(x)=f'(x+p)-f'(x)=0. Does that mean g(x) is zero? What else could it be?

This is where I am at. f(x+p) = f(x)

Let g(x) = f(x+p)-f(x)
g'(x) = f'(x+p)-f'(x).

g'(x) = f'(x+p)-f'(x) because the constant p'=0. Therefore, it becomes
g'(x) = f'(x+p)-f'(x). The only point that g'(x) = 0 is when p=0 and thereby, making f'(x+o)=f'(x) => that g'(x)=0. From here I can conclude that if P=0 then the two functions will be equal to zero and not periodic.

barthayn said:
This is where I am at. f(x+p) = f(x)

Let g(x) = f(x+p)-f(x)
g'(x) = f'(x+p)-f'(x).

g'(x) = f'(x+p)-f'(x) because the constant p'=0. Therefore, it becomes
g'(x) = f'(x+p)-f'(x). The only point that g'(x) = 0 is when p=0 and thereby, making f'(x+o)=f'(x) => that g'(x)=0. From here no idea where to go.

Ok, I'm going be blunt. The hint may not be all that obvious. Suppose f(x)=sin(x)+x. Is f(x) periodic? Is f'(x) periodic?

Dick said:
Ok, I'm going be blunt. The hint may not be all that obvious. Suppose f(x)=sin(x)+x. Is f(x) periodic? Is f'(x) periodic?

Thank you very much. I think I understand. F'(x) is periodic because it is cos(x)+1, but f(x) is not periodic because it does not have a phase point in which is does not repeat itself. It increases at a certain period time, but never repeats itself, correct? This is assuming that p is 0 right?

barthayn said:
Thank you very much. I think I understand. F'(x) is periodic because it is cos(x)+1, but f(x) is not periodic because it does not have a phase point in which is does not repeat itself. It increases at a certain period time, but never repeats itself, correct?

Right, that's what LCKurtz's hint was supposed to suggest. You can add a function that increases at a constant rate to a periodic function and get one whose derivative is periodic while the function itself is not.

Dick said:
Right, that's what LCKurtz's hint was supposed to suggest. You can add a function that increases at a constant rate to a periodic function and get one whose derivative is periodic while the function itself is not.

Thank you for your help. To show this it is as follows:

let g'(x) = f'(x+p) - f'(x)
Assume that f'(x+p) = cosx and f'(x) = 1

Therefore, we can conclude that g'(x) is periodic because it is cosx-1 but g(x) = sinx-x.Sinx-x is not periodic because it has no period and/or oscillation in which the function repeats itself.

barthayn said:
This is assuming that p is 0 right?

Now why would you say that? Don't shake my confidence in you. The period of f'(x) is p=2pi, isn't it? f(x) has no period.

barthayn said:
Thank you for your help. To show this it is as follows:

let g'(x) = f'(x+p) - f'(x)
Assume that f'(x+p) = cosx and f'(x) = 1

Therefore, we can conclude that g'(x) is periodic because it is cosx-1 but g(x) = sinx-x.Sinx-x is not periodic because it has no period and/or oscillation in which the function repeats itself.

sin(x)+x isn't periodic because it's always increasing since its derivative is nonnegative. Show that. I think you might be getting tired.

Dick said:
Now why would you say that? Don't shake my confidence in you. The period of f'(x) is p=2pi, isn't it? f(x) has no period.

Yes, I see my mistake. P is nothing more that the horizontal phase shift of the periodic function. For it to remain the same it would have to be 2k[/k]pi, where k is a natural number, thus always yielding cos(x).

Dick said:
sin(x)+x isn't periodic because it's always increasing since its derivative is nonnegative. Show that. I think you might be getting tired.

Yeah, I changed my therefore statement to as follows:

Therefore, by counterexample, even through that g'(x) is periodic g(x) is not periodic because it does not repeat its values in regular intervals or periods. As seen in the graph below: *Graph of g(x) being shown that it is always increasing*.

Thanks for grabbing the ball and following up Dick. I had to go to choir practice with the wife.

LCKurtz said:
Thanks for grabbing the ball and following up Dick. I had to go to choir practice with the wife.

Oh, I wasn't doing much else anyway. If I hadn't somebody else would have. The g'(x)=0 hint doesn't seem be working as well as I'd hoped, though. There's another thread on this same problem around. Try and talk that one through better than I did.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Oh, I wasn't doing much else anyway. If I hadn't somebody else would have. The g'(x)=0 hint doesn't seem be working as well as I'd hoped, though. There's another thread on this same problem around. Try and talk that one through better than I did.

Yeah, I saw that. I was hoping it would lead him to thinking about a constant slope.

1. What is a periodic function?

A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats its values at regular intervals. This means that the function will have the same output for certain input values, creating a pattern that repeats itself.

2. How do you find the derivative of a periodic function?

To find the derivative of a periodic function, you can use the same rules and techniques as you would for any other function. This includes using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. However, the resulting derivative may also be a periodic function with a different period.

3. Can a periodic function have a derivative?

Yes, a periodic function can have a derivative. The derivative of a periodic function will also be a periodic function, but it may have a different period than the original function.

4. What is the relationship between a periodic function and its derivative?

The derivative of a periodic function is closely related to the original function. The derivative will also be periodic, but with a different period. Additionally, the derivative will have the same general shape and characteristics as the original function, such as the number of peaks and valleys.

5. Can a periodic function have multiple derivatives?

Yes, a periodic function can have multiple derivatives. Each derivative will also be a periodic function with a different period. The number of derivatives a periodic function can have is infinite, as long as the function is differentiable for all points in its domain.