Have You Heard of the Legendary Devil's Tramping Ground?

• Thread starter megashawn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary, there is a legend surrounding a 40 ft circle in a forest in Chatham County, NC where Satan is said to tread and cause harm to those who enter. However, there is speculation that this is just a party spot and an old Indian ritual site. Some people believe that the myth is purely psychological or a ploy to attract tourists. There is also evidence that this phenomenon could be a product of evolution, as the brain uses fear to avoid potential dangers. Despite the legend, there has been no concrete evidence of Satan's presence in the area.
megashawn
Science Advisor
Has anyone ever heard of this place? I live about 30 minutes from its location and I'm trying to plan a camping trip there sometime this summer.

Anyhow, a bit of the legend. The area is in a forest, in Chatham County, NC. The particular "tramping" area is a 40 ft circle in the midst of lush vegetation and trees. In the middle of the circle is what appears to be a burn pit, a place used to have fires.

It is said that the Satan himself treads this circle night by night plotting his plans of destruction against humanity. I've heard storys of people who place objects within the circle, and by morning these objects are gone. I had a shop teacher who told a tale about his brother who camped out there inside the circle, and the next day was completely pyschotic. Supposedly he is in a loony bin to this day.

Here is a site with much more info about the legend, and photos of the area.

http://deviljazz.tripod.com/

Any clues?

On a side note, my mother is a paramedic in this county. At the time she is researching into how many calls have been ran to this particular area, and if anyone has ever seen satan. I'll let you know what she turns up soon.

Physics news on Phys.org
So far she has spoken to 6 different people about it. One person basically retold the same old story, another reported a 4 wheeler accident, inwhich the driver was intoxicated, and others said they've never heard of the place.

So basically, I believe its a party spot, maybe offroad trail, and probably an old indian ritual site.

I'll probably be camping out there sometime in June, update when needed.

I can't believe no one has heard of this?

Don't want to be a party pooper but could this spot have a lack of vegatation and charred ashes (from hell?) because people build fires and visit the place because of the myth itself. Seems like the USA if full of these kind of mystery (tourist) spots, like the gravitational mystery spot in Santa Cruz, CA. Personally don't believe in any of it myself but who knows.

This may seem a little crazy, but what if it all psychological? It may have started out as a story, and soon people start to believe it. Sooner or later, an "experience" happens to them and they think it is real even though it may just be a product of their imagination.

Or it could be a tourist spot to lure people to spend money.

EDIT: Supposing this were true, wouldn't this process be a byproduct of evolution? If most people in a community believe in a "monster" then the brain would use fear to stay away from the "monster", thus stimulating better awareness for survival.

Last edited:

1. What is "The Devils Tramping Ground"?

"The Devils Tramping Ground" is a circular clearing in the woods of North Carolina that is believed to be cursed or inhabited by the devil. It is known for being a place where strange occurrences happen and objects left in the clearing overnight are said to be moved by the devil himself.

2. What causes the strange occurrences at "The Devils Tramping Ground"?

The cause of the strange occurrences at "The Devils Tramping Ground" is still a mystery. Some people believe it is the work of the devil, while others attribute it to natural phenomena or unknown forces. There is no scientific evidence to support any specific cause.

3. Is "The Devils Tramping Ground" safe to visit?

Yes, "The Devils Tramping Ground" is safe to visit. There have been no reported cases of harm coming to people who have visited the site. However, it is important to respect the local laws and regulations when visiting and to be aware of potential hazards in the area, such as wildlife and uneven terrain.

4. What scientific studies have been conducted at "The Devils Tramping Ground"?

There have been several scientific studies conducted at "The Devils Tramping Ground" in an attempt to explain the strange occurrences. These studies have included soil and plant analysis, as well as electromagnetic field measurements. However, no conclusive results have been found to explain the phenomenon.

5. Can "The Devils Tramping Ground" be explained scientifically?

Currently, there is no scientific explanation for the strange occurrences at "The Devils Tramping Ground". While studies have been conducted, there is no conclusive evidence to support any specific cause. The mystery of "The Devils Tramping Ground" continues to intrigue scientists and visitors alike.