The energy of debris ejected from an asteroid impact

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the excavation and lofting of debris material from an impacting object on Earth. The question asks for the calculation of the amount of debris mass that can be lifted to a certain altitude, given the mass and velocity of the impacting object, and the height and radius of Earth. The conversation also discusses the context of the problem being an introductory astrophysics class and the approach of using kinetic energy to calculate potential energy for solving the problem.
QuantumX
I have been struggling with this problem. I'll greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction. I think it's safe to assume the velocity of the impact is the Earth's escape velocity 11.1*10^3 m/s

Here's the problem:

Impacting objects will excavate a certain amount of debris material from a crater md and loft it into
Earth's atmosphere to a height h. For an impacting object of mass mi, calculate how much debris mass md is lofted to an altitude h (where it will have zero velocity due to deceleration in Earth’s gravity). Assume that h << Rearth. Your answer will depend on mi, h and Rearth. For simplicity, assume the impactor comes in from straight up (along a radial line) and the debris is lofted straight out, also on a radial line. Consider h = 10 km, which is the altitude of the Earth’s jet streams. If debris reaches this altitude it will circulate globally. How much mass will an asteroid with density 2 g/cm^3 and diameter 1km be able to lift to a 10 km altitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a realistic model would be way beyond the scope of this homework, so I guess you are supposed to calculate the maximal amount of material, based on the impact energy.

It would be useful to know some context of the problem (in which course/class are you? What is the current topic?), but it looks like introductory physics.

It's not supposed to be that realistic, hence the radial trajectories. The course is an intro astrophysics class, and the context of the question is asteroid impacts.

If you consider it an intro problem, then please move it to the appropriate section (sorry, I'm new).

Thanks.

Would you be happy with a calculation where the kinetic energy of the asteroid is converted to potential energy of the debris? As if mi fell on a seesaw with md at the other end ?

Sure, that sounds right. Although, wouldn't that be be kinetic energy being transferred from one body to the other?

I figured the mass of the asteroid would be the same as the mass of the ejected debris, and the energy would be the same as well. Where I get stuck is how to make that energy dependent on the height h and Earth's radius. I'm thinking Earth's gravity would have factor in somewhere, since h is dependent on it. And I assume geometry will be involved, since both trajectories are just straight radial lines, but I just can't figure out how to do it. Your approach sounds like the right track

If md = mi there is nothing to calculate any more... The question - rephrased - is to calculate how much md you can lift 10 km with the kinetic energy in mi at 1.11 x 104 m/s. It is a rough upper limit, but probably not even all that bad.

The average speed of asteroids is about 25 km/sec. That's more than 4x the kinetic energy of 11 km/sec.

Chet

@BvU Now that you put it this way it suddenly makes sense. Yes, then that is what I need! Thanks.

Ok, so based on BvU's recommendation that I transfer kinetic energy to potential energy.

Here is what I did:

Ed = md*h*g = md*h*G*Mearth/Rearth^2 (g = GMearth/r^2)

Ei = 0.5*mi*v^2 (v = escape velocity of Earth)

Ed = Ei

so I equate the two and solve for md and the answer depends on mi, h and Rearth, like the problem asked.

Did I do it right?

Looks good.

What is the energy of debris ejected from an asteroid impact?

The energy of debris ejected from an asteroid impact depends on various factors such as the size, speed, and composition of the asteroid, as well as the angle and location of impact. It can range from a few megatons to hundreds of megatons of TNT equivalent.

How does the energy of debris from an asteroid impact affect the surrounding area?

The energy of debris from an asteroid impact can cause devastation in the impact zone, including destruction of buildings and structures, fires, and creation of shockwaves and tsunamis. The extent of damage also depends on the distance from the impact site.

Can the energy of debris from an asteroid impact be estimated?

Yes, scientists can estimate the energy of debris from an asteroid impact using computer simulations and models. They can also study the effects of past asteroid impacts to better understand the potential energy and damage of future impacts.

How can the energy of debris from an asteroid impact be mitigated?

There are various methods being researched to mitigate the energy of debris from an asteroid impact, including deflecting the asteroid's trajectory, breaking it up into smaller pieces, or using explosives to alter its course. However, the success of these methods depends on early detection and advanced warning systems.

What are the potential consequences of a high-energy asteroid impact?

A high-energy asteroid impact can have catastrophic consequences, including widespread destruction, loss of life, and long-term environmental effects. It can also impact global climate and cause a disruption in food supply and infrastructure. Therefore, it is crucial to continue studying and monitoring potential asteroid threats to prevent or mitigate a high-energy impact.