Helium Balloon: Explaining Special Relativity Effects

In summary, the helium balloon would contract according to special relativity, and if it contracts to the point where it is denser than air, it would fall.
Freaky Fred
Hi, guys o/
Suppose a person sees a helium balloon moving horizontally at close to the speed of light. From this perspective, the observer will see the helium balloon contract in accordance with special relativity. If helium contracts to the point where it is denser than air, will it fall? how to explain it to the person? That's curious because, for the balloon, the air will be denser.

Physics news on Phys.org
Such a balloon would be obliterated by the collisions with air molecules.

Likes Freaky Fred
Balloonists usually avoid launching in wind speeds above 0.1 c.

• Haha
Likes Grasshopper, PeroK, Freaky Fred and 2 others
You're assuming the balloon floats beacuse of pressure considerations and conventional fluid dynamics. Is that all that is causing you concern? For real fluid dynamics, the air around the balloon would be dragged along with the balloon and therefore also show length contraction and density changes.

Likes Freaky Fred
Will Learn said:
For real fluid dynamics, the air around the balloon would be dragged along with the balloon and therefore also show length contraction and density changes.
For real fluid dynamics the balloon would quickly be oblitterated.

To the OP’s actual question: Two observers will always agree on the existence of actual events. Their explanations may differ, but anything that occurs in a frame must occur in all frames.

Likes Freaky Fred
I thought I'd mention some of the available literature on this problem.

The paradox has a name, known as the submarine paradox, or Suplee's paradox, after the person who first published a formulation of it. Wiki has a short entry on it, see https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Supplee's_paradox&oldid=1020483779

From the wiki bibliography, there's an an arxiv paper, https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0305106.

I'd have to read the papers more carefully to give a considered answer - but I thought I'd mention there was literature written on the topic.

• Informative
Likes Freaky Fred, Nugatory, Dale and 3 others
This question needs some clarification before it can be answered. (Posters have been attempting to address these but the OP needs to do the clarifying)

Is the balloon in a medium such as air? (It would have to be to presume it's floating, so let's assume yes)

Is the balloon moving relative to the air? This will lead to very different outcomes depending on your answer.

Let's assume this balloon is indestructible. I'm assuming a scenario where the air is denser than the balloon at rest, but the balloon at relativistic velocity is denser than air to the observer.

Freaky Fred said:
Let's assume this balloon is indestructible. I'm assuming a scenario where the air is denser than the balloon at rest, but the balloon at relativistic velocity is denser than air to the observer.
In that case, read @pervect's references.

Likes Freaky Fred
pervect said:
I thought I'd mention some of the available literature on this problem.

The paradox has a name, known as the submarine paradox, or Suplee's paradox, after the person who first published a formulation of it. Wiki has a short entry on it, see https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Supplee's_paradox&oldid=1020483779

From the wiki bibliography, there's an an arxiv paper, https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0305106.

I'd have to read the papers more carefully to give a considered answer - but I thought I'd mention there was literature written on the topic.
This is very interesting, basically the ''same situation''. 😯

Freaky Fred said:
Let's assume this balloon is indestructible.
Alas, relativity explicitly forbids infinitely rigid objects. Pretty sure indestructible objects are the same deal. The motion, structure strength and rigidity of any object, real or theoretical, is limited.

If you try to assume such infinities, relativity will give you nonsensical answers*.

*(for example: an infinitely rigid stick 240,000 miles long would allow you to send messages to and from the Moon infinitely fast, creating a paradox).

These aren't merely pendantic details getting in the way of your thought experiment; they are fundamental in the relationship between spacetime, mass and energy.

Likes Grasshopper and Freaky Fred
DaveC426913 said:
Pretty sure indestructible objects are the same deal.
Probably, but he doesn't need indestructible, only ridiculously strong. I think the problem is well enough defined that pervect's references on Supplee's paradox are an answer.

Likes Freaky Fred
I've got to say, the solution is enjoyably counter-intuitive.

Likes Freaky Fred and Ibix
Bandersnatch said:
I've got to say, the solution is enjoyably counter-intuitive.

The solution also appears intuitive in some way, in that the observer who is always at rest ends up being right, and the moving object that is potentially accelerating and hence not in an inertial frame is the one that is "wrong" (i.e. not properly analyzed)

Likes Freaky Fred
First, have you actually looked at a helium balloon in a windstorm? It is not gently buoyed up - it's zipping around hither and yon. And those are air velocities of less than one millionth the speed of light.

Next, even in Newtonian mechanics, Archimedes Principle is only an approximation.

Technically, you need GR to solve this, because it involves gravity. I think we can use an analogy where the forces are due to magic, but again, this will be an approximation.

It is probably simplest to solve this by using the Cauchy stress tensor and recognizing that the fluid is non-uniform. An alternative would be to look at a microscopic picture where pressure and buoyancy arise from molecular collisions and Lorentz transform the collisions.

Likes Freaky Fred
Vanadium 50 said:
Technically, you need GR to solve this, because it involves gravity.
One could set the scenario inside an accelerating rocket in flat spacetime, which can be analyzed using SR. Tidal gravity, which is what would require GR, is not really necessary for the scenario.

Likes Freaky Fred
PeterDonis said:
One could set the scenario inside an accelerating rocket in flat spacetime
This appears to be what the Matsas paper referenced in the Wikipedia article on Supplee's paradox is doing. It uses Rindler spacetime, which is just flat Minkowski spacetime in non-inertial coordinates. (Note that the line element given in the paper is not the usual Rindler coordinates, but it is easily verified that its Riemann tensor vanishes, so it is indeed flat Minkowski spacetime in disguise.) This means that the paper's claim to be giving a "general relativistic" resolution is not really correct.

Likes Freaky Fred
If we consider a "submarine" whose top is at the surface of the water, the pressure on the surface is zero, and the submarine is entirely supported by the pressure on the bottom.

The magnitude of the pressure needed is the same as that of the relativistic sliding block. This happens to be a problem I'm somewhat familiar with.

The short version is that the pressure under the block scales as ##\gamma^2##, increasing, the contact area scales as ##1/\gamma##, decreasing, and the total force, pressure * area, scales as ##\gamma##.

In the sliding block case, we talk about "weighing" the block by measuring the pressure under it and multiplying by the contact area. The fact that the weight of the block increases by a factor of ##\gamma## while the contact area shrinks by the same factor is what gives the ##\gamma^2## pressure dependence.

In the submarine case, we replace "weighing" the block with the question of whether the submarine is neutrally buoyant or not.

Because the downward force on the submarine increases, and the buoyant force decreases due to the shrinking contact area, the neutrally buoyant submarine sinks when it's in motion.

1. What is a helium balloon and how does it relate to special relativity effects?

A helium balloon is a type of balloon filled with helium gas, which is less dense than air and causes the balloon to float upwards. This phenomenon is related to special relativity effects because the properties of helium gas and its interaction with air are affected by the principles of special relativity.

2. How does special relativity affect the movement of a helium balloon?

According to special relativity, objects in motion experience time dilation and length contraction. This means that as the helium balloon rises, it experiences time at a slower rate and appears shorter in length to an observer on the ground. This is due to the balloon's movement and its interaction with the surrounding air particles.

3. Can a helium balloon reach the speed of light due to special relativity effects?

No, a helium balloon cannot reach the speed of light. According to special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. The helium balloon may experience time dilation and length contraction, but it will never reach the speed of light.

4. How does the mass of a helium balloon change as it rises?

As a helium balloon rises, its mass does not change. However, its weight may appear to decrease due to the decrease in gravitational force at higher altitudes. This is also related to special relativity effects, as gravity is affected by the principles of special relativity.

5. Can a helium balloon be used to demonstrate special relativity effects?

Yes, a helium balloon can be used to demonstrate special relativity effects. By observing the changes in time and length as the balloon rises, we can see the principles of special relativity in action. This can help us better understand the theory and its implications for objects in motion.