Explore Alternative Interpretations of Special Relativity

In summary: I know), and so I wouldn't call it an "alternative" to special relativity.Radar measurements would be a good example of a measurement that would be affected by the presence of Lorentz ether.
Charlie K Trout
TL;DR Summary
Could there be issues with our current understanding of special relativity? With a constant speed of light, does that allow for both time dilation and length contraction at high speeds, or could only one of these be occurring? What alternative interpretations of special relativity have you come across?
A few years ago, a nuclear engineering professor explained to the class that the widely accepted theory between the relationship between space, time, and velocity may be wrong. At the time, I didn't think much about it since he had a lot of out-there beliefs and he seemed to be a bit of a contrarian. However, I still feel the need to explore some possible "alternative interpretations" to what might be going on in reality.

Lately, I've been wondering how we can concretely say that both time dilates and length contracts as velocity increases. Assuming the traditional definition of velocity (v=dx/dt), if length contracts as velocity increases, that would explain how an object can move through space as though time has slowed relative to the observer. On the other hand, if time slows as velocity increases, it could appear to an observer as though space has contracted around the object. For one to be true, the other doesn't necessarily have to be true as well. A constant speed of light, c, can be explained by dx approaching 0 or dt approaching infinity. So, could it be possible that either time or space is constant?

What other "alternative interpretations" to special relativity have you folks come across in the world of physics? How can you determine the validity of those interpretations?

Side note: I know there is the famous atomic clock on a satellite experiment, but I'm trying to look at this from a more conceptual/theoretical perspective. Plus, my contrarian professor suggested that the subtle differences in measured time may be due to various kinds of interference involved in the experimental setup, and I don't know enough about the experiment to validate or invalidate this claim.

• Skeptical
Likes Vanadium 50, weirdoguy and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Charlie K Trout said:
Could there be issues with our current understanding of special relativity?

I'm not sure what you mean by "issues". SR has been confirmed, within its domain of applicability, by a massive amount of experimental evidence.

Charlie K Trout said:
With a constant speed of light, does that allow for both time dilation and length contraction at high speeds, or could only one of these be occurring?

No. Time dilation, length contraction, and relativity of simultaneity all go together in SR; you can't have anyone of them without having all three.

Charlie K Trout said:
What alternative interpretations of special relativity have you come across?

The only known alternative interpretation in the literature is Lorentz Ether Theory (LET). If you review the PF rules, you will see that there is a specific rule prohibiting discussion of LET: we have found that discussions of it here on PF simply aren't productive.

Charlie K Trout said:
I know there is the famous atomic clock on a satellite experiment

I'm not sure which experiment you are referring to, but clocks on satellites require both special and general relativity to correctly predict their readings. In any case, such experiments are by no means the only ones confirming the predictions of special relativity.

Charlie K Trout said:
my contrarian professor suggested that the subtle differences in measured time may be due to various kinds of interference involved in the experimental setup, and I don't know enough about the experiment to validate or invalidate this claim.

If your professor has published a peer-reviewed paper about his claim, we can discuss that here. Or if you have specific questions about a published peer-reviewed paper describing the experiment in question, you can post them here. But we can't discuss vague claims from someone who isn't even posting here and can't back them up with a published paper.

Likes Dale, vanhees71, fresh_42 and 2 others
I think one may have distinguish an “interpretation” from a “violation”
of special relativity.

To me it seems, Interpretation means you accept the results but you may have a different explanation or point of emphasis.
Is the Lorentz group more fundamental than the causal structure? Should measurements be with clocks and rulers? Or radar measurements?
Should one think of quantities that transform (like space and time components)? Or think of geometrical objects (like 4-vectors)?
Etc...

To me it seems, a violation means that some fundamental equation does not correctly describe or predict the experimental result.

possibly interesting:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_searches_for_Lorentz_violation

Likes Dale
Charlie K Trout said:
A few years ago, a nuclear engineering professor explained to the class that the widely accepted theory between the relationship between space, time, and velocity may be wrong.
If your "contrarian" professor had suggested that the Earth might be flat, what would you have thought?

robphy said:
I think one may have distinguish an “interpretation” from a “violation” of special relativity.
Exactly. What the OPs-professor suggests sounds more like a violation. What the OP talks about could just be a different interpretation of the same math.

Experimental evidence for SR is linked from this thread, pinned at the top of this forum.

As others have noted, there's a difference between interpretations and violations of a theory. Lorentz Ether Theory is an alternative interpretation, providing a different explanation for all the same measurable phenomena. You can use it perfectly well, but it's more complicated, isn't really taught anywhere (as far as I'm aware), and doesn't change anything.

On the other hand, a violation of a theory would be experimental evidence that could not be reconciled with that theory. Within the limits of SR (no significant effects due to gravity) we've never seen such a thing. "Interference involved in the experimental setup" is a cop-out. He needs to specify ways that all (or at least a significant minority) of the experiments in the link above can be subtly wrong so that they give answers consistent with the same wrong theory.

Likes Dale
Charlie K Trout said:
Summary:: Could there be issues with our current understanding of special relativity? With a constant speed of light, does that allow for both time dilation and length contraction at high speeds, or could only one of these be occurring? What alternative interpretations of special relativity have you come across?

I've been wondering how we can concretely say that both time dilates and length contracts as velocity increases. Assuming the traditional definition of velocity (v=dx/dt), if length contracts as velocity increases, that would explain how an object can move through space as though time has slowed relative to the observer. On the other hand, if time slows as velocity increases, it could appear to an observer as though space has contracted around the object. For one to be true, the other doesn't necessarily have to be true as well
In order to have the speed of light be invariant it is necessary to have both time dilation and length contraction. The issue is that a length can be oriented parallel to the direction of travel or perpendicular to the direction of travel whereas time cannot. In order for the speed of light to be invariant in all directions you need both.

There is another transform called the Voigt transform which also preserves the invariance of c. It has time dilation, but it also has transverse length expansion rather than longitudinal length contraction. However, it violates the first postulate and is ruled out by experiment. But I mention it here because even this transform still requires both a modification of time and also a modification of length. Both are necessary.

Regarding the rest of your post, we need something concrete to discuss. Vague references to a contrarian professor are not feasible. So with that we will close this.

Last edited:
Likes Doc Al, vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and 2 others

1. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 to explain the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. What are the alternative interpretations of Special Relativity?

There are several alternative interpretations of Special Relativity, including the Lorentz interpretation, the Neo-Lorentzian interpretation, and the Transactional interpretation. These interpretations offer different perspectives on the fundamental principles of Special Relativity, such as the relativity of simultaneity and the concept of length contraction.

3. How do these alternative interpretations differ from the traditional view of Special Relativity?

While the traditional view of Special Relativity follows the principles laid out by Einstein, the alternative interpretations propose different explanations for certain phenomena. For example, the Lorentz interpretation suggests that length contraction is a result of the interaction between an object and the medium it is traveling through, rather than a fundamental property of space and time.

4. Why are there alternative interpretations of Special Relativity?

The alternative interpretations of Special Relativity stem from the fact that some phenomena, such as the twin paradox and the concept of simultaneity, can be difficult to understand and explain within the traditional framework. Therefore, scientists have proposed alternative perspectives to try and reconcile these discrepancies.

5. How do these alternative interpretations impact our understanding of Special Relativity?

While the alternative interpretations offer different explanations for certain phenomena, they do not change the fundamental principles of Special Relativity. The traditional view of Special Relativity remains the most widely accepted and supported by experimental evidence. However, these alternative interpretations can offer new insights and perspectives on the theory, leading to further research and understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.