• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
Poor danago!

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Poor danago!
Poor danago? He's been working on his own web page today......

How dare he have a life outside of PF........

hmmm.....

It would appear, that I stopped working on my own web page, about the time I found PF.

hmmm.....

Anyways..... danago's meal reminded me of a local restaurant that my brother and his spouse took me to a few years back. Huge plates, microscopic portions, but oh so good. Thank god my brother married a doctor, who paid for everything. :redface:

danago said:
As expected, the bill was a little more than the traditional trattoria down the road (who am I kidding, I could probably have eaten for a week with the price of this dinner), but that is the price of dining at one of the top restaurants in the world – it’s certainly not a twice-a-week type of dinner, but more a few-time-a-year type of experience.
My sentiments, exactly.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow, his last dinner looks great! But I really don't get those ugly bell peppers in the banner...

I have acquired a new cooking skill: making summer rolls :biggrin: I found rice paper in the asian store, so decided to have a go at it. First night as an accompaniment to Indian leftovers, the second night as a special request by my boyfriend: he wanted to have 8 rolls for dinner :smile:

The peanut sauce still needs to be perfected, anyone with a recipe?

For those who don't know summer rolls, a picture stolen from the internet:
how-to-roll-summer-roll3.jpg

danago
Gold Member
Haha don't worry, I haven't ran away! I have had a hectic last few weeks, but am now back home in Australia and getting back into the swing of things :smile: As OmCheeto pointed out, I have just written about my dinner at Osteria Francescana. I am currently writing about a lunch I had at the Fat Duck restaurant in Bray, which was by far my most expensive lunch ever (250£ each including one drink). It was also by far the most impressive lunch I have ever had! It is truly a spectacular experience for anybody half interested in food and dining and exceeded my high expectations.

A small teaser...one of Heston's signature dishes: Snail Porridge.

ezla0w.jpg

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow, his last dinner looks great! But I really don't get those ugly bell peppers in the banner...

I have acquired a new cooking skill: making summer rolls :biggrin: I found rice paper in the asian store, so decided to have a go at it. First night as an accompaniment to Indian leftovers, the second night as a special request by my boyfriend: he wanted to have 8 rolls for dinner :smile:

The first time I was faced with one of these in a restaurant, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to eat the wrapping or not :redface:! It looks plastic. (Btw, yes, it's OK to eat the wrapping.)

isn't that a Vietnamese spring roll?

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, I think so. Mmmmm Vietnamese food *drool*! So delicious!

Yes, I think so. Mmmmm Vietnamese food *drool*! So delicious!
do you go to Pho?

drizzle
Gold Member
Couldn't decide whether to post it here, or in youtube classic

Spices. :!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The first time I was faced with one of these in a restaurant, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to eat the wrapping or not :redface:! It looks plastic. (Btw, yes, it's OK to eat the wrapping.)
I thought the same :biggrin: But I've been in love with them ever since, I love the herbs and freshness of the wrap.

No, spring rolls are fried and have a flour-based wrapper. Or do you mean to ask if they are Vietnamese? Yes, I've only had them in Vietnamese restaurants in the States.

Borek
Mentor
Spring rolls in Poland are called "Saigonians".

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That's peculiar! We call them Loempia (Indonesian origin).

Evo
Mentor
That's peculiar! We call them Loempia (Indonesian origin).
Rolls made with rice paper are referred to here as "spring rolls". I learned years ago from a Filipino friend to make "lumpia", but they're made with eggroll wrappers and deep fried like egg rolls. They aren't spring rolls of the type Monique showed.

This is the first time I've heard heard of them referred to as "shanghai rolls", but Borek is right, apparently they are also called that. Although this Filipino website says to use "spring roll wrappers", I can tell from the pictures that they are using heavier wrappers closer to eggroll wrappers, and they are deep frying them. Go figure.

http://www.manilaspoon.com/2012/11/lumpiang-shanghai-filipino-spring-rolls.html

Borek
Mentor
As with many dishes, there are variations of some common theme. Compare ratatouille with đuveč, compare burek variants, compare baklava variants - these are just first examples that I can think of.

turbo
Gold Member
Part of fine cooking skills consists of the tools. I bought us three Thiers-Issard knives, including a 3" paring knife that my wife calls "the best knife in the world!"

Recently, she has invested in a Dutch oven made by Lodge Colors. It is very heavy cast-iron coated with porcelain enamel. Don't buy this stuff for a person who is frail. It is REALLY heavy.

danago
Gold Member
Borek
Mentor
I have published my article with lots of photos on my lunch at The Fat Duck.
:surprised

(price included)

danago
Gold Member
:surprised

(price included)
I'm starting a new graduate job in two weeks...I'll have a stable income shortly (It's what I was telling myself as I made the reservation, and again when I was handing over my $$$) :smile:

OmCheeto
Gold Member
I have published my article with lots of photos on my lunch at The Fat Duck.

http://eatspeakwrite.com/reviews/the-fat-duck-bray/

Truly an amazing dining experience, even if it did cost us £250 per person.
Wow. I usually come to this thread to get ideas for things I might prepare for myself.

I think the only thing on the menu I could recreate would be the toast sandwich. Plain of course.

Served with our tea were some toast sandwiches, filled with all things delightful from cinnamon cream to truffles to lettuce to, obviously, toast. I must admit, before dining at The Fat Duck I had no idea that a “toast sandwich” was actually something that existed before Heston used the idea. It was originally published in Isabella Beeton’s Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management in 1861, a book published as a guide to running a Victorian household. The original recipe suggested placing a piece of cold toast in between buttered fresh bread and seasoning with pepper. Heston’s was obviously a little more fancy, but kept the idea of using toast as a textural element.
And 4 hours to eat? Wow. Obviously a once in a lifetime meal. I laughed when I thought about what it would be like if all our meals took that long.

I got up, had breakfast, then lunch, then dinner, then went to bed.
:tongue:

And I did run off to Facebook to post a comment about your teaser post on the 17th.

Snail soup? Aren't snails just slugs with shells? and $800!!!!!!

But it did intrigue me. I've been a huge sushi fan for several decades, and am not averse to trying new foods. So I googled: how to eat slugs

and came across this very delightful video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IbYROJZ1a4

A black slug tastes like rubber wheels, but a banana slug tastes good.
:biggrin:

We have lots of banana slugs where I live.

wiki said:
Banana slugs have been used as food by Yurok Indians of the North Coast and by German immigrants in the 19th and early 20th centuries. A yearly festival and contest is held at Russian River (California) including slug races and a contest for recipes - though, even when fed corn meal to purge them or soaked in vinegar to remove slime, the slugs' flavor is not always well regarded, and the most successful entries are often those in which the flavor is unnoticeable.
Like mustard ice cream, and Uni, some foods need to be worked up to.

td21
Gold Member
I had this typical Tuscan soup with cavolo nero and bread while visiting Siena:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1555304_385493181594734_736584983_n.jpg

It's probably the closest thing to healthy I've eaten on this trip so far :rolleyes: It was very tasty, and a dish that I will certainly try to recreate when I go home.
I am so hungry right now~~~

danago
Gold Member
and came across this very delightful video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IbYROJZ1a4

:biggrin:

We have lots of banana slugs where I live.
Seems like a pretty authoritative video on slug fare, so you should go right ahead and start hunting those banana slugs and whipping up something for your next set of dinner guests :biggrin:

Evo
Mentor
danago, your food blog is the best I've read! You are an incredible writer, I felt that I was right there with you!

danago
Gold Member
danago, your food blog is the best I've read! You are an incredible writer, I felt that I was right there with you!

Thanks for the comment :smile: It is still very amateurish as far as food blogs go, but it is something I enjoy doing when I have some free time. It is a great way to combine my love for cooking, dining, writing, photography, culture and language (I try to include bits about etymology that I find interesting).

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Seems like a pretty authoritative video on slug fare, so you should go right ahead and start hunting those banana slugs and whipping up something for your next set of dinner guests :biggrin:
Whipped banana slug. hmmm...... :yuck:

Anyways.....

My cousins are currently staying on a small island off the coast of Honduras. On Monday, I had sushi for the first time in probably 5 years. When I got home, I read that my cousin had hunted down, killed, and ate a lionfish. I was somewhat aghast, as they are one of the most beautiful fish in the world, IMHO. But he said they were an invasive species, so I asked him how they tasted raw.

Simple, nice texture, good with soy sauce. Next time I'd like to try pan frying with olive oil and salt. I don't really get off on killing things. But I do enjoy the challenge of actively taking down a live fish. Many Caribbean reef systems are at risk of collapse, and the lionfish are accelerating all the other problems (climate change that leads to bleaching, overfishing, coastal development that leads to sedimentation problems and algae fertilized by sewage and problems from plastic trash). The overall trends for coral reefs are pretty damn depressing, but this a small way to help.
It looks as though there are a few restaurants in Florida that serve lionfish.

Save the reefs! Eat more lionfish! They are delicious!

danago
Gold Member
I'd be up for trying lionfish, although I've never seen it on a menu here in Australia. Instead we just eat our kangaroos :tongue: