1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Forces of Rolling

1. Nov 26, 2006 #1
    The question is:

A wheel is rolling smoothly on horizontal surface. There is a constant horizontal force of magnitude 10 N. Wheel has mass of 10 kg, and radius of 0.3 m. The accel. of its centre of mass has mag. of 0.6 m/s^2.

I am asked to find frictional force in unit-vector notation. This is what i did:
    (10N) = f - (10kg)(9.8m/s^2)sin0* = (10kg)(0.6 m/s^2)
    (10N)-f = 6.0
    -f = -4.0

Since there is clockwise angluar acccel the friction is a negative value. So my answer is f = (-4.00 N)i

For part b it asks for the rotational inertia of the wheel about its centre of mass. This is what i've done so far:

(-4 N)(0.3m) = I (-0.6m/s^2/0.3m)
    -1.20 = I(-2)
    I = 0.600 rad/s

Am i on the right track?? Please help!!!
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Friction tends to retard the motion, and I assume the applied force and the acceleration are in one direction, with friction in the opposite direction. Your positive answer for f is because you have it in the wrong place in your equation for it to be negative. If you wrote F + f = ma, then f would be found to be negative. Your result for I has the wrong dimensions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?