The form factor of a radial gaussian charge distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses computing the form factor for a given function, with the help of a suggested approach using the Fourier transform of the charge distribution. After trying various mathematical methods and numerical integration, the final answer is obtained and deemed correct.
wdednam

Homework Statement

Compute the form factor of rho(r) = rho0 * exp[-ln2*r^2/R^2]

where rho0 and R are constants.

Homework Equations

F(q) = 4pi/q [tex]\int[/tex]sin(q*r)rho(r)rdr

where the limits of integration run from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is probably more of a math problem, and I've tried everything mathematical I could think of to evaluate this integral:

Substitution, Integration by parts, taylor approximation to turn the exponential into a polynomial in r, writing sin(q*r) in exponentials... But all of this got me nowhere fast.

Then I tried looking up the integral in a table, but couldn't come across it in 30 pages worth of standard integrals. (Schaum series book)

As a last resort, I tried numerical integration in excel using set values for R and q, but of course the answer depends very much on the values of R and q, so this offered me no insight.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wynand.

Physics news on Phys.org
what if you instead of this sin-thing use the more general form of the Form factor, that it is the fourier-transform of the charge distribution?

I can have a closer look later, I know I have done this problem a couple of years ago

I think that might just work, thank you.

Let me try and see where it gets me, and then I'll get back to you here to let you know how it went.

Thanks again!

Wynand.

So, I could do the integral based on your suggestion. Here is the answer I got:

F(q) = (pi/ln2)^(3/2)*R^3*rho0*exp{-q^2*R^2/(4ln2)}

Thanks a lot again.

wdednam.

It looks ok to me :-)

Well done

1. What is a radial Gaussian charge distribution?

A radial Gaussian charge distribution refers to a type of charge distribution where the charge density decreases in a Gaussian (bell-shaped) manner as the distance from the center increases. It is a common distribution used in physics to model various systems, such as atomic nuclei and electron clouds.

2. How is the form factor of a radial Gaussian charge distribution calculated?

The form factor of a radial Gaussian charge distribution can be calculated using the formula F(q) = ∫ρ(r)e^(iqr) dV, where ρ(r) is the charge density at a distance r from the center and q is the momentum transfer. This integral can be solved analytically for a Gaussian distribution, resulting in a simple mathematical expression for the form factor.

3. What is the significance of the form factor in studying charge distributions?

The form factor is a key quantity in studying charge distributions as it provides information about the spatial distribution of charges. It is often used in experiments involving scattering of particles off a target with a known charge distribution, as the form factor can be directly measured and compared to theoretical predictions.

4. How does the form factor change for different types of charge distributions?

The form factor varies for different types of charge distributions, depending on the functional form of the charge density. For example, a uniform spherical charge distribution will have a different form factor than a radial Gaussian charge distribution. The shape and magnitude of the form factor can provide insights into the underlying charge distribution.

5. Can the form factor of a radial Gaussian charge distribution be modified?

Yes, the form factor of a radial Gaussian charge distribution can be modified by changing the parameters of the distribution, such as the width or the center. This can be done by altering the charge density function or by physically manipulating the system. However, the resulting form factor will still follow a Gaussian shape, unless the distribution is significantly altered.