The Fourier Series of Sin^5(x)

In summary, the student is trying to find the Fourier series for sin^{5}(x). They are trying to integrate sin^{5}(x)sin(nx) to find b_{n} and are not sure how to proceed from here. The student then uses Euler's Formula and trigonometric identities to simplify before plugging in the series.
castusalbuscor

Homework Statement

So I have to find the Fourier series for [tex]sin^{5}(x)[/tex].

Homework Equations

I know the [tex]a_{n}[/tex] in:
[tex]\frac{a_{0}}{2} + \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}a_{n}cos_{n}x + \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}b_{n}sin_{n}x[/tex]
goes to zero, which leaves me with taking the [tex]b_{n}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I got so far is trying to integrate to find [tex]b_{n}[/tex].

[tex]b_{n} = \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} sin^{5}(x)sin(nx)[/tex]

But I am not sure how to proceed from here, do I make use of [tex]sin^{2}(x)=1/2(1-cos2x)[/tex] and [tex]cos^{2}(x)=1/2(1+sin2x)[/tex]?

Am I even going in the right direction?edit:

I just plugged it into Maple and got:

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi}\left( \frac{sin((n-5)x}{32(n-5)} - \frac{sin((n+5)x}{32(n+5)} - \frac{5sin((n-3)x}{32(n-3)} + \frac{5sin((n-1)x}{16(n-1)} - \frac{5sin((n+1)x}{16(n+1)} \right)^{\pi}_{-\pi}[/tex]

is this the direction I need to go in?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Euler's Formula

I did not attempt this, but have you tried using Euler's formula to help simplify before plugging in the series?

Have you tried using trig identies to write sin5 in terms of cos(nx) and sin(nx)?

For example, Since cos(2x)= cos2(x)- sin2[/sup= (1- sin(x))- sin2(x)= 1- 2sin2(x), sin2(x)= (1/2)(1- cos(2x)), sin5(x)= (sin2(x))(sin2(x))(sin(x))= (1/2)(1- cos(2x))(1/2)(1- cos(2x))(sin(x))= (1/4)sin(x)- (1/2)cos(2x)sin(x)+ (1/4)cos2(x).
Replacing sin2(x) in the first identity with 1- cos2(x) will give you cos2(x)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2x)) and you can use sin(a+ b)= cos(a)sin(b)+ sin(a)cos(b), sin(a-b)= -cos(a)sin(b)+ sin(a)cos(b) so that, adding the two equations. 2cos(a)sin(b)= sin(a+b)+ sin(a-b) with a= 2x, b= x, to resolve that cos(2x)sin(x). When you have reduced all products to sin(nx) and cos(nx), you have your Fourier series.

Solved?

I ended up going with
[tex]
\frac{1}{\pi}\left( \frac{sin((n-5)x}{32(n-5)} - \frac{sin((n+5)x}{32(n+5)} - \frac{5sin((n-3)x}{32(n-3)} + \frac{5sin((n-1)x}{16(n-1)} - \frac{5sin((n+1)x}{16(n+1)} \right)^{\pi}_{-\pi}
[/tex]

and I just plugged in [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]-\pi[/itex]. I talked to one of the "smart" kids in class about it and I was on the right track, which was quite a relief.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is the Fourier Series of Sin^5(x)?

The Fourier Series of Sin^5(x) is a mathematical representation of the function Sin^5(x) using a combination of sine and cosine functions. It is an infinite series that can be used to approximate Sin^5(x) over a specific interval.

2. Why is the Fourier Series of Sin^5(x) important?

The Fourier Series of Sin^5(x) is important because it allows us to represent complicated functions, such as Sin^5(x), as a sum of simpler sine and cosine functions. This can make it easier to analyze and manipulate the function, and can also be used in applications such as signal processing and data compression.

3. How is the Fourier Series of Sin^5(x) calculated?

The coefficients of the Fourier Series of Sin^5(x) can be calculated using integration techniques, specifically the Fourier Series Coefficient formula. This involves integrating the function Sin^5(x) multiplied by sine and cosine functions over a specific interval.

4. What is the convergence of the Fourier Series of Sin^5(x)?

The Fourier Series of Sin^5(x) is a convergent series, meaning that as more terms are added, the series will approach the exact value of Sin^5(x). The rate of convergence depends on the smoothness of the function and the choice of interval for approximation.

5. Can the Fourier Series of Sin^5(x) be used for any function?

No, the Fourier Series of Sin^5(x) can only be used for periodic functions, meaning functions that repeat themselves over a specific interval. Additionally, the function must also satisfy certain conditions for the Fourier Series to converge, such as being continuous and having a finite number of discontinuities within the interval.