The Fourier Series of Sin^5(x)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
castusalbuscor
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



So I have to find the Fourier series for [tex]sin^{5}(x)[/tex].

Homework Equations



I know the [tex]a_{n}[/tex] in:
[tex]\frac{a_{0}}{2} + \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}a_{n}cos_{n}x + \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}b_{n}sin_{n}x[/tex]
goes to zero, which leaves me with taking the [tex]b_{n}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution



So what I got so far is trying to integrate to find [tex]b_{n}[/tex].

[tex]b_{n} = \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} sin^{5}(x)sin(nx)[/tex]

But I am not sure how to proceed from here, do I make use of [tex]sin^{2}(x)=1/2(1-cos2x)[/tex] and [tex]cos^{2}(x)=1/2(1+sin2x)[/tex]?

Am I even going in the right direction?edit:

I just plugged it into Maple and got:

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi}\left( \frac{sin((n-5)x}{32(n-5)} - \frac{sin((n+5)x}{32(n+5)} - \frac{5sin((n-3)x}{32(n-3)} + \frac{5sin((n-1)x}{16(n-1)} - \frac{5sin((n+1)x}{16(n+1)} \right)^{\pi}_{-\pi}[/tex]

is this the direction I need to go in?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Euler's Formula

I did not attempt this, but have you tried using Euler's formula to help simplify before plugging in the series?
 
Have you tried using trig identies to write sin5 in terms of cos(nx) and sin(nx)?

For example, Since cos(2x)= cos2(x)- sin2[/sup= (1- sin(x))- sin2(x)= 1- 2sin2(x), sin2(x)= (1/2)(1- cos(2x)), sin5(x)= (sin2(x))(sin2(x))(sin(x))= (1/2)(1- cos(2x))(1/2)(1- cos(2x))(sin(x))= (1/4)sin(x)- (1/2)cos(2x)sin(x)+ (1/4)cos2(x).
Replacing sin2(x) in the first identity with 1- cos2(x) will give you cos2(x)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2x)) and you can use sin(a+ b)= cos(a)sin(b)+ sin(a)cos(b), sin(a-b)= -cos(a)sin(b)+ sin(a)cos(b) so that, adding the two equations. 2cos(a)sin(b)= sin(a+b)+ sin(a-b) with a= 2x, b= x, to resolve that cos(2x)sin(x). When you have reduced all products to sin(nx) and cos(nx), you have your Fourier series.
 
Solved?

I ended up going with
[tex] \frac{1}{\pi}\left( \frac{sin((n-5)x}{32(n-5)} - \frac{sin((n+5)x}{32(n+5)} - \frac{5sin((n-3)x}{32(n-3)} + \frac{5sin((n-1)x}{16(n-1)} - \frac{5sin((n+1)x}{16(n+1)} \right)^{\pi}_{-\pi}[/tex]

and I just plugged in [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]-\pi[/itex]. I talked to one of the "smart" kids in class about it and I was on the right track, which was quite a relief.

Thanks for your help!