1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Fourier Series of Sin^5(x)

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I have to find the fourier series for [tex]sin^{5}(x)[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

I know the [tex]a_{n}[/tex] in:
    [tex]\frac{a_{0}}{2} + \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}a_{n}cos_{n}x + \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}b_{n}sin_{n}x[/tex]
    goes to zero, which leaves me with taking the [tex]b_{n}[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

So what I got so far is trying to integrate to find [tex]b_{n}[/tex].

[tex]b_{n} = \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} sin^{5}(x)sin(nx)[/tex]

But I am not sure how to proceed from here, do I make use of [tex]sin^{2}(x)=1/2(1-cos2x)[/tex] and [tex]cos^{2}(x)=1/2(1+sin2x)[/tex]?

Am I even going in the right direction?

I just plugged it into Maple and got:

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi}\left( \frac{sin((n-5)x}{32(n-5)} - \frac{sin((n+5)x}{32(n+5)} - \frac{5sin((n-3)x}{32(n-3)} + \frac{5sin((n-1)x}{16(n-1)} - \frac{5sin((n+1)x}{16(n+1)} \right)^{\pi}_{-\pi}[/tex]

is this the direction I need to go in?
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2008 #2
    Euler's Formula

I did not attempt this, but have you tried using Euler's formula to help simplify before plugging in the series?
  4. Mar 11, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you tried using trig identies to write sin5 in terms of cos(nx) and sin(nx)?

For example, Since cos(2x)= cos2(x)- sin2[/sup= (1- sin(x))- sin2(x)= 1- 2sin2(x), sin2(x)= (1/2)(1- cos(2x)), sin5(x)= (sin2(x))(sin2(x))(sin(x))= (1/2)(1- cos(2x))(1/2)(1- cos(2x))(sin(x))= (1/4)sin(x)- (1/2)cos(2x)sin(x)+ (1/4)cos2(x).
    Replacing sin2(x) in the first identity with 1- cos2(x) will give you cos2(x)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2x)) and you can use sin(a+ b)= cos(a)sin(b)+ sin(a)cos(b), sin(a-b)= -cos(a)sin(b)+ sin(a)cos(b) so that, adding the two equations. 2cos(a)sin(b)= sin(a+b)+ sin(a-b) with a= 2x, b= x, to resolve that cos(2x)sin(x). When you have reduced all products to sin(nx) and cos(nx), you have your Fourier series.
  5. Mar 11, 2008 #4

I ended up going with
    \frac{1}{\pi}\left( \frac{sin((n-5)x}{32(n-5)} - \frac{sin((n+5)x}{32(n+5)} - \frac{5sin((n-3)x}{32(n-3)} + \frac{5sin((n-1)x}{16(n-1)} - \frac{5sin((n+1)x}{16(n+1)} \right)^{\pi}_{-\pi}

and I just plugged in [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]-\pi[/itex]. I talked to one of the "smart" kids in class about it and I was on the right track, which was quite a relief.

Thanks for your help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?