The fulll problem to my momemtum problem .

• Thread starter jamiescience
  • Start date
So, if you can find the impulse, you can find the change in momentum, and thus find the final momentum.In summary, a spacecraft with a mass of 1.0*10^4 kg and initial velocity of 1200 m/s has a thruster exerting a force of 25 kN for 2.0 minutes in the opposite direction of its motion. The initial and final momentum of the spacecraft can be calculated using the formula for momentum and the relationship between impulse and change in momentum.
jamiescience
the fulll problem to my momentum problem...

Homework Statement

a 1.0*10^4kg spacecraft is traveling through space with a speed of 1200 m/s realtive to earth. a thruster fires for 2.0 min, exerting a continuous force of 25kN on the spacecraft in a direction opposite the spacecraft s motion . calculate the initial momentum and the fianl momentum kof the spacecraft .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have found a clever and elegant solution, but it is too long for this post to contain.

Note: My response was sarcastic, since when I posted it you hadn't yet included the problem statement! Sorry for any confusion.

Do you know the formula that defines momentum? That should give you the initial momentum pretty easily. As for the final momentum, there are multiple ways of finding it, but they probably want you to use the fact that impulse is equal to change in momentum.

1. What is momentum and why is it important in science?

Momentum is a physics concept that refers to the quantity of motion an object possesses. It is important in science because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other.

2. How does momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

According to Newton's first law of motion, an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This is directly related to the concept of momentum, as an object's momentum will remain constant unless acted upon by a force.

3. Why is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that any changes in momentum within the system must be balanced out, resulting in overall momentum being conserved.

4. How can momentum be calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. This can be expressed as the formula p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of momentum?

Momentum is used in various real-world scenarios, such as in the design of car safety features, understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, and in sports such as football and ice skating. It is also important in understanding the motion of celestial bodies in space.