The hermicity of a k.p matrix?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the k.p method to study quantum well band structure, specifically using a Hamiltonian that is an hermitian operator. The Hamiltonian contains matrix elements that are functions of k_i and if the quantum well is grown along the z direction, the envelope functions have a specific form. The conversation then delves into the confusion about the (1,4) and (4,1) terms and whether or not the matrix can be considered hermitian. The reference provided is a relevant paper on the topic.
lichen1983312
I am trying to use the k.p method to study quantum well band structure. One example Hamiltonian look like this [J. Appl. Phys., 116, 033709(2014)]

Hamiltonian.png
where
##{{\hat k}_ \pm } = {{\hat k}_x} \pm i{{\hat k}_y}##
and the matrix elements are function of ##{{\hat k}_i}##
and if quantum well is grown along z direction
the envelop functions have the form
\[F(x,y,z) = {e^{i{{\bf{k}}_\parallel } \cdot {\bf{r}}}}f(z)\]

and therefore

##\left\{ \begin{array}{l}
{{\hat k}_x} = - i\frac{\partial }{{\partial x}} \to {k_x}\\
{{\hat k}_y} = - i\frac{\partial }{{\partial y}} \to {k_y}\\
{{\hat k}_z} = - i\frac{\partial }{{\partial z}}
\end{array} \right.##

this Hamiltonian is an hermitian operator, but I am confused about this. For example, if I look at the (1,4) and (4,1) terms and use ${{\hat k}_z}=-i{\partial _z}$, the (1,4) term becomes
##-i{\partial _z}{P_1}##
and the (4,1) term becomes
##- i{P_1}{\partial _z}##

If I use finite difference method to turn these two terms into a matrix block, the factor -i is not going to flip sign and the matrix cannot he a hermitian matrix?

there must be something wrong with my understanding, please help.

Attachments

• Hamiltonian.png
    Hamiltonian.png
    17 KB · Views: 1,284
Physics news on Phys.org
I have to look at the paper first, the matrix is hermitian, but I will say that [itex] P_1[/itex] and [itex] P_2[/itex] are constants, not operators if I remember my [itex] \vec{k} \cdot \vec{p}[/itex] theory correctly.

Dr Transport said:
I have to look at the paper first, the matrix is hermitian, but I will say that [itex] P_1[/itex] and [itex] P_2[/itex] are constants, not operators if I remember my [itex] \vec{k} \cdot \vec{p}[/itex] theory correctly.
Thanks very much, the reference is this one :
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.4890585

1. What is the definition of hermicity in a k.p matrix?

Hermicity, also known as Hermitian symmetry, is a property of a matrix where its transpose is equal to its complex conjugate. In other words, a matrix is hermitian if it is equal to its own conjugate transpose.

2. How is hermicity related to the eigenvalues of a k.p matrix?

The eigenvalues of a hermitian matrix are always real numbers. This means that if a k.p matrix is hermitian, its eigenvalues will also be real numbers. Furthermore, the eigenvectors of a hermitian matrix are orthogonal, making them useful in many applications.

3. Is every k.p matrix hermitian?

No, not all k.p matrices are hermitian. A k.p matrix is only hermitian if it satisfies the definition of hermicity, which is that it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. If a k.p matrix does not meet this criteria, it is not considered hermitian.

4. What is the significance of hermicity in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian matrix is often used to represent the energy of a quantum system. Since energy is a real quantity, it is important that the Hamiltonian matrix be hermitian. This ensures that the eigenvalues, representing the energy levels, are also real numbers.

5. How can the hermicity of a k.p matrix be tested?

To test the hermicity of a k.p matrix, you can take the transpose of the matrix and compare it to its complex conjugate. If the two are equal, then the matrix is hermitian. Another way to test hermicity is by calculating the eigenvalues and checking if they are all real numbers.