The information about the curvature on the rest

In summary, it seems that the curvature of the trajectory is determined by the information about the curvature at the point where the body stops.
Abel Cavaşi
What happens with the information about the curvature of the trajectory of a body when the body stops? We know that to assess the curvature of a path we must calculate the value of a fraction of which the denominator is speed module (cubed). But if speed module is canceled, this fraction can not be assessed. So, it preserves information about the curvature in that interactions that stop the body?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Likes Nidum
Thanks for the reply! But, about the curvature of the trajectory, you have an idea? You know what is the curvature? You know how to calculate it? If yes, then what value does it for a body with zero speed?

Abel Cavaşi said:
But, about the curvature of the trajectory, you have an idea?
Write down the formula for calculating the curvature. What happens to the formula when ##v=0##

Indeed, that's what I asked: "What happens to the formula when v=0"?

Abel Cavaşi said:
Indeed, that's what I asked: "What happens to the formula when v=0"?
A good first step would be to heed @Dale's advice and
Dale said:
Write down the formula for calculating the curvature.

I was addressed those who already know the formula. I did not open this topic to make education here. The formula can be found, for example, in the Wikipedia. $$\kappa=\frac{|\gamma'\times\gamma''|}{|\gamma'|^3}$$

Abel Cavaşi said:
Thanks for the reply! But, about the curvature of the trajectory, you have an idea? You know what is the curvature? You know how to calculate it? If yes, then what value does it for a body with zero speed?
To ask about curvature you should first see to what "object" this curvature applies to.
So what do you think is the trajectory of a body at rest?

Likes Chestermiller
Until you answer me the questions, you can not understand my logic.

I asked what happens with the information about the curvature when the body stops. Please look for the answer.

Abel Cavaşi said:
I was addressed those who already know the formula. I did not open this topic to make education here. The formula can be found, for example, in the Wikipedia. $$\kappa=\frac{|\gamma'\times\gamma''|}{|\gamma'|^3}$$
Take the trajectory in given by the parameterization:

$$x(t)=t^3$$
$$y(t)=0$$
$$z(t)==0$$

Take the trajectory given by the parameterization:

$$x(t)=t$$
$$y(t) = 0$$
$$z(t) = 0$$

Do these two define the same path? Does this path include the point (0,0,0)? What is the curvature of the path at (0,0,0)?

Suppose, instead of the projectile coming to rest (as reckoned by one observer), its motion is reckoned by another observer who is traveling in an inertial frame of reference at constant velocity relative to the first observer. According to this observer, once the projectile hits the ground, it does not come to rest. Instead, it continues in the same direction at constant velocity tangent to the ground. So, according to this observer, the curvature of the projectile path has undergone a discontinuous change. How much of the previous curvature is preserved by the straight line path that the projectile is then experiencing after making contact with the ground?

I expect an answer to the question that I raised it in this topic:
"what happens with the information about the curvature when the body stops?"
Those who do not know the answer are asked to refrain.

Abel Cavaşi said:
What is the difference between stopping and being at rest?

To my knowledge, neither.

Abel Cavaşi said:
My answer is the answer to the question about what happens when the body stops. It is just the answer as reckoned by two different observers.

Abel Cavaşi said:
To my knowledge, neither.
Then what is your problem with the concept of "at rest."

But the information is objective. It can not disappear to any observer in the universe.

Is there anyone out there who has the slightest idea what this guy is talking about (besides him). OP, please do not respond?

Chestermiller said:
Then what is your problem with the concept of "at rest."
The problem with the rest is exactly that I raised in this topic.

Abel Cavaşi said:
Prove that my question would not be coherent.
Here, for instance is a coherent version of what you may have meant to ask.

Can we determine the curvature at a particular point on the path traced out by a point particle if we are given only information about the position, velocity and acceleration of the particle at a time when it was at rest at that point?

Edit to add...

Another coherent question would be to ask whether it might be possible to define the curvature of such a path at such a point in some other way. (i.e. using some other parameterization).

Last edited:
Abel Cavaşi said:
But the information is objective. It can not disappear to any observer in the universe.
Trajectories are frame dependent.

Abel Cavaşi said:
is there a 'future' for the observer, are all 'futures' the same for observers in the universe?

Abel Cavaşi said:
Excellent, so what happens to this equation when ##\gamma'=0##

Upon reading the remainder of the posts in this thread it has become clear that the OP was pushing some strange agenda which is not consistent with the professional scientific literature. Several posts have been deleted and the thread is closed.

To answer the question, all of the information about a system with a given Lagrangian is contained in the phase space of the system. I.e. the generalized positions and momenta of the system. The equation you posted is undefined if ##v=0## which means that that equation cannot be used, not that any information has been lost.

Last edited:

1. What is curvature?

Curvature is a measure of the amount by which a geometric object, such as a surface or curve, deviates from being flat.

2. How is curvature measured?

Curvature is typically measured using mathematical formulas that take into account the shape and dimensions of the object in question.

3. What is the significance of curvature in physics?

Curvature is a fundamental concept in both mathematics and physics, with implications for a wide range of fields such as general relativity, differential geometry, and cosmology.

4. How does curvature affect our everyday lives?

Although we may not always be aware of it, curvature plays a role in many aspects of our daily lives, from the shape of our planet to the design of buildings and vehicles.

5. Can curvature be negative?

Yes, curvature can be both positive and negative. For example, a sphere has positive curvature while a saddle-shaped surface has negative curvature.