The inherent symmetry of time dilation

In summary, both space travelers would be entitled to claim that the other's clock is moving slower than their own, but there are differences between the two situations.
sanook
Please pardon this very newbie question:

I am ploughing through Mayer's "The Many Directions of Time." He seems to assume right at the outset that Relativity is correctly interpreted as meaning that BOTH observers moving in constant velocity relative motion would be entitled to claim that the other observer's clock is slower than their own. Is this universally accepted? It's been a long time since I did a very basic course in Relativity (my background is philosophy) but I seem to recall thought experiments where a space traveller would age considerably slower than someone who stayed on earth? Perhaps the two cases have nothing to do with each other?

I accept that I am out of my depth here really; should my post be inappropriate for the site I hope administrators will remove it at once. On the other hand, if anyone has time to explain this to me, I would be very grateful

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, both would be entitled to claim that the others clock is moving slower than their own. Also, there are no issues of interpretation in special relativity. Its meaning is crystal clear.

ok, thank you very much. I obviously must have misuderstood the "space traveller" case

There is an important difference between two travelers, each moving relative to the other, and the situation where one remains in a gravity well while the other moves away.

In the first situtation, if the two travelers are at any time together, to compare ages directly, with constant relative velocity, they will never be together again so the "twin paradox" does not arise. In the second, problems of forces and accelerations, which are NOT "relative" must be dealt with.

I see, I hadn't realized that constant relative velocity meant they would never be together again. I need to put a lot more thought and reading into this matter. Thank you both for helping me to clear up an initial doubt.

Last edited:

Related to The inherent symmetry of time dilation

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object or person moving at high speeds compared to those at rest. According to the theory of relativity, time and space are intertwined, and time can be affected by the speed and gravity of an object.

What is the inherent symmetry of time dilation?

The inherent symmetry of time dilation refers to the fact that the effects of time dilation are reciprocal. This means that if an observer sees time passing slower for a moving object, the object will also see time passing slower for the observer. This symmetry holds true regardless of the relative speeds and positions of the observer and the moving object.

How is the concept of time dilation related to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference. Time dilation is a consequence of this theory, showing that time is not absolute and can be affected by the relative motion of objects.

Is time dilation a proven phenomenon?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through various experiments and observations, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment and the use of atomic clocks on GPS satellites. These experiments have shown that time dilation is a real phenomenon, and its effects have been accurately predicted and measured.

What are the practical implications of time dilation?

The practical implications of time dilation are significant, especially in the fields of space travel and high-precision technologies such as GPS. Time dilation must be taken into account when calculating the positions and movements of objects in space, and it also has implications for the accuracy of timekeeping devices. Understanding time dilation is crucial for accurately describing and predicting the behavior of objects in our universe.