Can Invisible People See? Explained

• Thread starter langtu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Invisible
In summary, the question is whether an invisible person would be able to see. While traditional methods of invisibility would hinder vision, there are theoretical possibilities such as bending light or dynamic re-emission that could allow for both invisibility and sight. However, these methods may not be foolproof and could potentially still be detected, making the person not truly invisible. Ultimately, it would depend on the specific method used for invisibility.
langtu
Can an invisible person see? Please explain for me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I've reinstated this thread because I don't think it is quite as non-sensical as ZapperZ thought! I interpret it as "suppose there were some people who were invisible or used some kind of mechanism to make them invisible- could they see?"

Let me answer in reverse form. To "see" something means that light from that object enters your eye and is absorbed by your retina. Someone standing behind you would, at the very least, see dark spots where that light was absorbed so you couldn't be truly invisible.

If the method used to cause invisibility employed the bending of light around the subect so that the light could continue as though it had never been interupted, then true invisibility could be achieved. Given this conition, the invisible individual (which just happens to be a lot of fun to say!) would not be able to see.

However, in order for vision to occur, light need only reach the eye. So, bending all the light around a person except that which enters the eye would yeild a very close approximation of invisibility, without any loss of visibility (if that majes any sense).

Light is visible if the wavelength falls in the visible spectrum. You could have,say, infrared sensors and UP-convert it to visible light (like those night-watchers). You'd still be invisible to the eye.

Last edited:
Interesting approach, Galileo. I assume then that your refractory (or whatever) apparatus would selectively pass IR and not visible wavelengths to the interior of the device. Could work.

My first thought was also to say that the invisible person could not see since all incident light would go right through. But this transparency is a static method of being invisible. And since we are speaking of rather improbably conditions here, how about a dynamic method of being invisible instead? Light is indeed absorbed by the invisible body so the subject can see, but then it is dynamically re-emitted on the other side the same way it came in. This subject could be invisible but still able to see because it actually processes all incident light.

Orefa said:
My first thought was also to say that the invisible person could not see since all incident light would go right through. But this transparency is a static method of being invisible. And since we are speaking of rather improbably conditions here, how about a dynamic method of being invisible instead? Light is indeed absorbed by the invisible body so the subject can see, but then it is dynamically re-emitted on the other side the same way it came in. This subject could be invisible but still able to see because it actually processes all incident light.
There would have to be a time delay between absorption and re-emission. In principle, this delay could be detected and so, arguably, the subject would not be truly invisible.

1. Can invisible people actually see?

Invisible people, by definition, cannot be seen by the naked eye. However, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that invisible people have any kind of supernatural ability to see beyond what is normally visible to humans. So, in short, no, invisible people cannot actually see.

2. How can invisible people exist?

Invisible people are often a concept found in science fiction and fantasy, where they are portrayed as having the ability to become invisible through some kind of advanced technology or supernatural power. In reality, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of invisible people.

3. Can invisible people see in the dark?

As mentioned before, invisible people do not possess any supernatural abilities. Therefore, they cannot see in the dark any better than a regular person. However, they may have access to technology that allows them to see in the dark, just like any other person could.

4. Are there any real-life examples of invisible people?

Invisible people do not exist in the real world, but there are instances where people can appear to be invisible. For example, in certain environments, such as underwater or in a thick fog, a person may be difficult to see. However, this is not true invisibility and is simply due to environmental factors.

5. How do scientists explain the concept of invisible people?

Scientists do not believe that invisible people exist in the way they are portrayed in fiction. The concept of invisible people is often used as a plot device or a way to explore ideas about perception and reality. In reality, it is not possible for a person to become completely invisible to the naked eye.