What was the Marshall Plan and its purpose?

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plan
In summary, the Marshall Plan has been mentioned as a catch-all excuse for events in the Middle East. However, this plan was actually a scheme from the late 1940s to help western Europe recover from the aftermath of World War II, and has no direct connection to current events in the Middle East. One user has been falsely quoting the plan and using it as an attack, while another user has been accused of trying to provoke emotional responses in discussions. Ultimately, there are multiple individuals responsible for getting threads locked and it is important for everyone to be self-aware and civil in discussions.
Adam
Okay, the Marshall Plan has been mentioned many times recently as some sort of catch-all excuse for everything happening in the Middle East. In fact, one user (who doesn't actually know anything about the Marshall Plan) tends to simply answer everything about Iraq with "It's the Marshall Plan, idiot!". Now, for those who don't know (including the one who keeps mentioning it), the Marshall Plan was a scheme from the late 1940s to bolster western Europe against the "growing Communist threat". That's pretty much it. American money going to Europe to bolster economies which were troubled after WW2.

http://www.marshallfoundation.org/about_gcm/marshall_plan.htm

Sorry russ, but you're off track again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Adam said:
Okay, the Marshall Plan has been mentioned many times recently as some sort of catch-all excuse for everything happening in the Middle East. In fact, one user (who doesn't actually know anything about the Marshall Plan) tends to simply answer everything about Iraq with "It's the Marshall Plan, idiot!". Now, for those who don't know (including the one who keeps mentioning it), the Marshall Plan was a scheme from the late 1940s to bolster western Europe against the "growing Communist threat". That's pretty much it. American money going to Europe to bolster economies which were troubled after WW2.

http://www.marshallfoundation.org/about_gcm/marshall_plan.htm

Sorry russ, but you're off track again.

Jesus! Can you be anymore hypocritical, after RUINING so many threads, spouting about ad hominem, etc?? I have no clue why this doesn't result in a ban

In before the lock/delete

Last edited by a moderator:
Phat M , Watzup wit dat. Adam is right the Marshall Plan (LOOK AT THE LINK) I notice when you and Russ don't care to discuss a point/thread civilly you try to get it locked, maybe I'm wrong after all its JMHO.

amp said:
Phat M , Watzup wit dat. Adam is right the Marshall Plan (LOOK AT THE LINK) I notice when you and Russ don't care to discuss a point/thread civilly you try to get it locked, maybe I'm wrong after all its JMHO.

Yes, it is US who are targeting Adam :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In one line manages an ad hominem, and a lie, and a false quote...

" In fact, one user (who doesn't actually know anything about the Marshall Plan) tends to simply answer everything about Iraq with "It's the Marshall Plan, idiot!". "

And I am the one who is lacking civility?

Adam said:
Okay, the Marshall Plan has been mentioned many times recently as some sort of catch-all excuse for everything happening in the Middle East.
I'm not sure where you get the idea that the Marshall Plan has anything to do with the problems in the Middle East. I never said it.
In fact, one user (who doesn't actually know anything about the Marshall Plan) tends to simply answer everything about Iraq with "It's the Marshall Plan, idiot!".
Putting something in quotes that isn't a quote is called a LIE and calling someone an "idiot" is a personal attack.

No, Adam, I'll not be stooping to your level. If you want to have a reasonable discussion about this, let me know. Otherwise...no.
Amp, you may notice, most of the threads in here that have been locked lately have been started by one specific person. There is a reason for that. Also, remember, I don't have the power to lock threads in here and the person who does agrees with Adam more than he agrees with me - and he still feels the need to lock those threads. That should also tell you something.

I'll give you that Russ, I apologize. It was looking to me like you and PM were out to provoke emotional outbursts where the burster <chuckle> tended to get out of line.

amp said:
I'll give you that Russ, I apologize. It was looking to me like you and PM were out to provoke emotional outbursts where the burster <chuckle> tended to get out of line.
amp, if you really do want to talk about the Marshal plan. Start a new thread, throw your thoughts on it, and let's discuss! :smile:

There are many guilty parties getting threads locked. Go down to the store and buy a mirror, all of you, before posting anything else, ok?

Related to What was the Marshall Plan and its purpose?

What was the Marshall Plan?

The Marshall Plan, also known as the European Recovery Program, was a United States initiative launched in 1948 to aid Western Europe in rebuilding their economies after World War II.

Who proposed the Marshall Plan?

The Marshall Plan was proposed by then-Secretary of State George C. Marshall in a speech at Harvard University on June 5, 1947.

What was the purpose of the Marshall Plan?

The main purpose of the Marshall Plan was to provide financial assistance to European countries devastated by the war, in order to help them recover and prevent the spread of communism.

How much money was spent on the Marshall Plan?

The United States initially allocated $13 billion for the Marshall Plan, but ultimately spent over $15 billion between 1948 and 1951.

Did the Marshall Plan achieve its goals?

Yes, the Marshall Plan was largely successful in revitalizing the economies of Western European countries and promoting political stability. It also laid the foundation for the European Union and strengthened ties between the United States and Europe.