1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The nernst equation problem

1. Jun 2, 2012 #1
    A rather tame ltxnsp was recently found on Easter Island by a retired neurophysiologist. He reported the following measurements of ECF and ICF concentrations (in millimoles):
    ICF ECF
    Pr+ 0 150
    Na+ ? ?
    K+ 10 100
    Cl- 109 250
    HCO3- 1 10

so this is the question: He lacked the proper instruments for determining Na+ concentrations, but was rather certain that no other major ions were present in the ECF and ICF. Can you calculate either concentration for him?

I think we use the Nernst eqn in this case to figure it out which is Em= 58/ z * log (xo/xi). correct me if i'm wrong. So Na and Cl is transported via the symporter so only charges are opposite. therefore we find the Em of Cl-? Then after that we find what's K? But then I don't get how to use those to tie it to find Na. I'm confusing myself here. Can someone help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2012 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

Try using net neutrality of the bulk.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook