Can the Nernst Equation Determine Missing Sodium Concentrations?

In summary, the conversation discussed the discovery of a ltxnsp on Easter Island and the measurements of ECF and ICF concentrations made by a retired neurophysiologist. The individual lacked proper instruments to determine the Na+ concentrations, but was certain that no other major ions were present in the ECF and ICF. The question was asked whether it is possible to calculate either concentration, and the suggestion was made to use the Nernst equation to determine the Em of Cl- as it is transported via the symporter. The conversation then delved into finding the Em of Cl- and using net neutrality of the bulk to calculate the concentrations of K+ and Na+.
tqsld
A rather tame ltxnsp was recently found on Easter Island by a retired neurophysiologist. He reported the following measurements of ECF and ICF concentrations (in millimoles):
ICF ECF
Pr+ 0 150
Na+ ? ?
K+ 10 100
Cl- 109 250
HCO3- 1 10

so this is the question: He lacked the proper instruments for determining Na+ concentrations, but was rather certain that no other major ions were present in the ECF and ICF. Can you calculate either concentration for him?

I think we use the Nernst eqn in this case to figure it out which is Em= 58/ z * log (xo/xi). correct me if I'm wrong. So Na and Cl is transported via the symporter so only charges are opposite. therefore we find the Em of Cl-? Then after that we find what's K? But then I don't get how to use those to tie it to find Na. I'm confusing myself here. Can someone help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using net neutrality of the bulk.

1. What is the Nernst Equation?

The Nernst Equation is an equation used to calculate the potential difference of an electrochemical cell at a specific temperature and concentration of ions.

2. How is the Nernst Equation derived?

The Nernst Equation is derived from the principles of thermodynamics and electrochemistry. It takes into account the concentration of ions on both sides of the cell and the temperature to calculate the cell potential.

3. What is the significance of the Nernst Equation?

The Nernst Equation is significant because it allows for the prediction and calculation of cell potentials, which are important in various fields such as biochemistry, electrochemistry, and environmental sciences.

4. What are the limitations of the Nernst Equation?

The Nernst Equation assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as non-ideal behavior of ions, changes in temperature, and other variables that can affect the cell potential. It also does not consider the presence of impurities or other reactions happening in the cell.

5. How is the Nernst Equation applied in real-world scenarios?

The Nernst Equation is commonly used in the design and optimization of electrochemical systems, such as batteries, fuel cells, and corrosion prevention. It is also used in the analysis of biological processes involving redox reactions, such as photosynthesis and respiration.