The Neutrality of NaCl: Comparing H+ and Ac-

• Thread starter Kqwert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac
In summary, the conversation discusses the pH and reactivity of NaCl as a salt. The first question clarifies that NaCl is neither acidic nor basic and does not affect the pH of a solution. The second question explores the difference between the reactions of H+ with Cl- and Ac- ions, as HCl is a strong acid and acetic acid is a weak acid. The conversation concludes by confirming the correctness of the conversation and addressing a correction in terminology.
Kqwert
Homework Statement
Hello,

I have two similar tasks here, but I don't really see any similarities in how they are "treated".

First question:

Calculate the pH of 0.01M NaCl.

Second question:

Find pH if you dissolve 0.2 mol NaAc and 0.1 mol HCl in water.
Relevant Equations
First question:
Here they just conclude that NaCl is neither acidic or basic, and that pH is unchanged.Second question:
Here I thought that the pH would just be the concentration of HCl, as NaAc is a salt, but in the solution they instead say that H+ will combine with Ac- to form HAc. Why is these two questions different? To me they seem very similar...

Physics news on Phys.org
Acetic acid is a weak acid, hydrochloric acid is a strong acid.

Thanks! so Cl- reacting with H+ would just result in Cl- and H+ ions back again, as HCl is a strong acid? Where as for the second case H+ will react with Ac- to form, and some of the HAc will remain undissolved undissociated as it is a weak acid?

Last edited:
Undissociated, not undissolved.

Thank you! I edited my post, is it correct now?

Yes

Correct, but you have not pushed anything as far as answering the questions.

1. How does the neutrality of NaCl compare to that of H+ and Ac-?

The neutrality of NaCl is different from that of H+ and Ac- in that NaCl is a neutral compound, while H+ and Ac- are both ions that can have a positive or negative charge. This means that NaCl does not contribute to the overall charge of a solution, while H+ and Ac- can affect the solution's pH and overall charge.

2. Why is NaCl considered a neutral compound?

NaCl is considered a neutral compound because it is made up of equal numbers of positively charged sodium ions (Na+) and negatively charged chloride ions (Cl-). These charges cancel each other out, resulting in a compound that has no overall charge.

3. How does the neutrality of NaCl affect its behavior in solution?

The neutrality of NaCl allows it to easily dissolve in water and form a stable solution. This is because the positive and negative ions in NaCl are attracted to the polar water molecules, which helps to break apart the ionic bonds and allow the ions to move freely in solution.

4. What is the role of H+ and Ac- in maintaining the neutrality of NaCl in solution?

H+ and Ac- ions do not play a direct role in maintaining the neutrality of NaCl in solution. However, they can affect the overall charge and pH of the solution, which can indirectly impact the behavior of NaCl in solution.

5. How does the neutrality of NaCl impact its use in various industries?

The neutrality of NaCl makes it a versatile compound that is commonly used in various industries. For example, it is used as a seasoning in food, a preservative in processed foods, a de-icing agent in winter, and a component in electrolyte solutions for medical purposes. Its neutrality allows it to be easily incorporated into different products without significantly altering the overall charge or pH of the solution.