1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Ortogonal Representation of SU2

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The rotation group SO3 may be mapped to the 2 sphere by sending a rotation matrix to its first column. Describe the fibres of this map

2. Relevant equations

SO3 are the special matrices P such that PPt=I and they are 3x3 matrices with det P =1

3. The attempt at a solution

ok so we just wanna describe the inverse image of an element. I know the image of the element is a matrix which corresponds to some rotation is sent to a 2-sphere. But i dont really know how to describe this formally or in the other direction.

i know we have 3x3 matrices with det =1 st. ppt

so our map (phi):SO3 ---> S2

but dunno where to go from here.

4. Feb 8, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think of them as what they are, rotations. If two rotations R1 and R2 have the same first column then they map (1,0,0)=e1 to the same vector, call it v (the first column of the matrix). They both map e2 and e3 to vectors orthogonal to v. They must differ only by a rotation in the plane orthogonal to v, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook