The Permittivity of Insulators

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of adding and removing electrons from insulators, the possibility of achieving a uniform charge distribution in insulators, and the role of permittivity and conductivity in these processes. The speaker also questions the accuracy of the concept of a uniform charge density in insulators.
Mykhalo P
I just have a few conceptual questions:

Is it as difficult to remove electrons from an insulator as it is to add to it?
I understand insulators have a lower permittivity than conductors, and that they still allow charges to build upon the surface. However, I read that when you rub an insulator with a cloth, you are actually removing electrons. Can you add charges to an insulator by rubbing it with a cloth? So I'm curious which situation is more common.

How can insulators of a uniform charge density exist? Additionally, are insulators with a uniform negative charge be as likely to occur as those of a positive charge?
This one stumbles me because charges are supposed to build up on the surface. I do not understand how they can be dispersed evenly throughout a surface unless insulators in general allow electrons to move at a slower rate through its material. Can anyone please clarify?

Thank you so much for anyone who helps. I really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can add electrons to an insulator by rubbing it, it all depends on the type of material or more specifically the electronegativity of the two materials being rubbed together. If the cloth is more electronegative than the rod then it will remove electrons from it and leave the rod with a resulting positive charge. If the rod is more electronegative than the cloth then it will remove electrons from the cloth and become negatively charged. In my experience the last case is more common, that is most material charge up negatively when rubbed with a cloth. It also goes to reason that since the charging mechanism is rather random on a microscopic scale and that we are dealing with insulators, which do not allow charge to move freely about, that the resulting charge distribution on the solid material will not be uniform. Other ways of charging up solid insulators do exist, like spraying charge onto the surface, but still obtaining a uniform charge distribution is virtually impossible. The resistance of insulators do vary though and some movement do occur at higher voltages.

Mykhalo P said:
I understand insulators have a lower permittivity than conductors
This is incorrect. Conductors have relative permittivity of 1, typically. Insulators can have relative permittivities of several thousand.

How can insulators of a uniform charge density exist? Additionally, are insulators with a uniform negative charge be as likely to occur as those of a positive charge?
This one stumbles me because charges are supposed to build up on the surface. I do not understand how they can be dispersed evenly throughout a surface unless insulators in general allow electrons to move at a slower rate through its material. Can anyone please clarify?
Actually, having a dielectric of ANY finite volume charge density is fiction. All materials have SOME conductivity so at least eventually all charge will always be on the surface. Volume charge densities exist only in textbooks etc.

1. What is the definition of permittivity?

Permittivity, also known as electric constant, is a measure of how much resistance an insulating material offers to the formation of an electric field. It is represented by the symbol ε and is measured in units of farads per meter (F/m).

2. How does permittivity affect the behavior of insulators?

The permittivity of an insulator determines its ability to store electric charges and resist the flow of electric current. A higher permittivity means a higher resistance to the formation of an electric field, making it a better insulator.

3. What factors influence the permittivity of insulators?

The permittivity of insulators is influenced by the material's composition, temperature, and electric field strength. Different materials have different permittivity values, and the permittivity of a material may change with temperature and the strength of the electric field it is exposed to.

4. How is permittivity measured?

Permittivity can be measured using a device called a capacitor. A capacitor is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, and its capacitance is directly proportional to the permittivity of the insulating material. By measuring the capacitance of the capacitor, the permittivity of the insulator can be calculated.

5. What are some real-life applications of permittivity in insulators?

Permittivity plays a critical role in the design and functioning of various electrical devices, such as capacitors, transformers, and cables. It is also essential in the development of insulating materials for high-voltage power transmission and electronic components. Additionally, the permittivity of materials is used in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and medical imaging.