The PF Username Game - Part III

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey, #21 is still a partial...anyone care to try and finish it off?

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The final update for me:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. in much ado, calculus lives = Doc Al [hidden clue: adocalculus] (rewebster)

2. mini rod, twisted = moridin [anagram of "mini rod"] (rewebster)

3. mashed up w/ mashing tooth = wolram [mashing tooth = molar; w + molar --> wolram, after some jumbling] (turbo)

4. only country with map on flag loses its pee = cyrus [cyprus - p] (turbo)

5. best we err funnily = rewebster [anagram of "best we err"] (MIH)

6. bad turk with half a grand = kurdt [half a grand = 500 = D (Roman numerals), d + turk --> after rearranging] (George)

7. [tex]\sqrt{adj^2+opp^2}~@~Iowa[/tex] = hypatia [hyp (from Pythagoras' theorem) + at + IA] (kurdt)

8. gloomy, without a right = moose [right = R, gloomy = morose; morose - r -> moose] (neutrino)

9. strange lover loses all resistance...and inductance = evo [lover - r (resistance) - l (inductance)] (Astro)

10. She's him? But that's completely backwards! = MIH ["him" backwards] (rewebster)

11. strangely, he's Mr. T, shortly, that is, etcetera = chemisttree ["that is" = i.e., "etcetera" = etc, hes mr t + ie + etc -> chemisttree after reworking] (rewebster)

12. derrick lacks that which could make it human = dick [to err is human, derrick - err -> dick] (George)

13. bone marrow loses war but wins a skirmish = moonbear [bonemarrow - war + a -> moonbear after jumbling] (neutrino)

14. use me in HAL; then reformat = enumaelish [anagram of "use me in hal"] (neutrino)

15. Indian essence hydrates, they say = russ watters [russ ~ ras = essence in sanskrit, hydrates -> waters ~ watters] (rewebster)

16. hid a vector within = DaveC [hidden clue: hidavector] (neutrino)

17. Cheerleading slogan for the King of Blues is messed up = BobG [King of Blues = B. B. King, anagram of "Go, BB"] (turbo)

18. found in Decatur, Boise and Maine =turbo [hidden clue: decaturboise; also turbo-1 lives in Maine] (rewebster)

19. Huxley does a Brother Gibb swap, we hear = gravenewworld [Brother Gibb = B G, Aldous Huxley's book Brave New World with B swapped for G] (BobG)

20. la salle de lierre, and many more = HallsofIvy [straight translation, I hope] (turbo)

21. how a Roman sentry may begin to question a lurker underscores the heart of its translation by Shakespeare
= Q_Goest (partial by Chi Meson)
[Q begins quo vadis? and 'underscores' is for the "_" that follows the Q; this is most commonly translated as "whither goest thou?", as found for example, in the Merchant of Venice]

22. carelessly cram a man, for a Sec. = (jim) mcnamara (neutrino with the answer, arunbg mopping up)
[anagram of "cram a man"; "Sec." is a reference to Vietnam era US Sec. Def. Bob McNamara]

23. bottoms of Nimes must count = Math Jeans (arunbg)
[denim is derived from de Nimes; bottoms -> pants; denim pants = jeans; normal jeans wouldn't be able to count, but Math Jeans should!]

24. [tex]ji\sqrt{2\pi} \delta^{(1)} (k)[/tex] = fourier jr (unsolved)
[that's just the fourier transform into k-space, of a linear signal in r-space : a constant, j, times r
see, for instance the table FT of distributions near the bottom of this page]

25. the Stooge of the Commandments leads the Greek sharpdull = Moe Darklight (partial by turbo, george with the finish)
[Moe Howard, born Moses Horwitz, was one of the Three Stooges;
Darklight is something of an oxymoron, and the word 'oxymoron' is itself something of an oxymoron, being derived from the Greek words for sharp (oxy) and dull (moros). ]

26. Not derived from terrible X gradalis? = integral (rewebster)
[1. not derived -> integrated
2. X = ten, gradalis = grail (Latin), ten+grail (jumble) -> integral]

27. Two-faced gatekeeper is mostly an @$$#0!3 = Janus (rewebster, shortly followed by turbo)
[1. Janus = Roman God with a double-sided head, guardian of gates and doors
2. Janus is mostly anus]

28. Fly trades one for a different fly's killing machine. = Zapper (rewebster)
[1. fly = zipper, "trades one for a" -> remove I, add A, zipper - i + a = zapper
2. "different fly" refers to the insect, bug "killing machine" -> bug zapper]

29. Old Indian teacher of natural laws has seen Gore jog clumsily! = George Jones (partial by rewebster, completed by arunbg)
[1. Old (as in ancient) Indian teacher of natural laws = physics guru
2. seen gore jog = george jones (anagram)]

30. Mr. anser, in trouble. = Danger (partial by Chi Meson, aided by arunbg, finished by neutrino)
[1. Mr -> male, anser -> genus of geese, so Mr. anser -> male goose = gander (anagram of danger)
2. in trouble -> danger]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tally of points:
LOTS of points to rewebster, neutrino, turbo, george and arunbg - yes, I'm lazy!

rewebster: Sorry this ended while you were in exile.

That's it from me - tomorrow's going to be a busy day. If anyone else wants to make clues, feel free.

Last edited:
Thanks for yet another fun round. Hope this message reaches you after a good morning's sleep. :biggrin:

turbo
Gold Member
I hadn't gotten around to looking at this summary until now, and I see that Moe=Moses is the answer that was being sought. I had managed to dredge up an alternate explanation regarding the 8th commandment. In an episode of the Simpsons, Homer got an illegal cable hook-up (stealing) and Lisa protests, fearing for his soul. When Moe (tavern owner) shows up at the house, Homer has to quickly hide all the beer mugs that he has stolen from the tavern.

If anyone else wants to make clues, feel free.
here's one:

Advance and separate, descending without May from a Mexican holiday and slightly disturbed

Last edited:
Loads of brownies for you Gokul in the morning, you deserve 'em :biggrin:
Can't wait for part IV, or are there more to come tomorrow?

http://knitfit.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/17/brownies_3.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The rest of 21: Does it have anything to do with Richard Selzer's book, "Whither thou goest?" which is about a heart transplant? If it is, that's damn arcane!

turbo
Gold Member
Even more arcane, is the reference to "heart" pertinent to where Shylock will demand that his pound of flesh come from?:yuck:

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
No, it isn't. But I've got to know why you said that!

EDIT: After reading the edit - you're really close, and your answer is probably as good as mine, but I don't know what G01 actually means!
Hehehe! It actually doesn't really have much meaning behind it. It's just the name that I use on forums and such. The G comes from my first name, George, and the 01, well, I guess I just like the way it looks.

I guess my user name is just bad for this type of game!:smile:

I thought ji -> G and the fourier transform of the delta function (about the origin) is one -> 01
This is pretty cool Sid. Maybe I should say this is where my name comes from.:biggrin:

Last edited:
A tailor following a burglar's technique.

If anyone else wants to make clues, feel free.
here's one:

Advance and separate, descending without May from a Mexican holiday and slightly disturbed

I don't know if anyone saw this, but here's a clue:

Don't stop the Whip

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Very Godelesque. :biggrin:
Just in my mind you seem noble yet don't even realize. Guess everyone owns regal gifts except jewels one never ever sees.

Last edited:
:smile:

Just in my mind you seem noble yet don't even realize. Guess everyone owns regal gifts except jewels one never ever sees.

HEY--start at the beginning of each word

--------------------------------------------

Here's one more clue on mine if you hadn't gotten yet:

Leave, but don't be hot headed------98756

Last edited:
turbo
Gold Member
Leave, but don't be hot headed------98756
Gokul+descending numbers

Gokul+descending numbers
Yep--you got it, turbo---you win a free trip to Bangor someplace else of your choosing

did you get the following clue? :

descending without May from a Mexican holiday and slightly disturbed

Well. I came in a little late for this, but the thread was sure fun to read! Nice job Gokul.

turbo
Gold Member
Yep--you got it, turbo---you win a free trip to Bangor someplace else of your choosing

did you get the following clue? :

descending without May from a Mexican holiday and slightly disturbed
Yes, and I should have spelled it out - if you start at the cinquo de Mayo (5th of May)and run to zero (slightly disturbed) you get the numerical sequence in his user name.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hmmm...went to bed at 7am this morning, and was at work all day and night yesterday! Some Christmas this!

Loads of brownies for you Gokul in the morning, you deserve 'em :biggrin:
Can't wait for part IV, or are there more to come tomorrow?
Thanks arun! No more from me, if I hope to get any work done. It's not that it takes much time to make the clues, but then, you need to (or want to, at least) stick around and watch, when people are taking cracks at em.

The rest of 21: Does it have anything to do with Richard Selzer's book, "Whither thou goest?" which is about a heart transplant? If it is, that's damn arcane!
I thought I explained this in the final update, but perhaps it wasn't clear. Let me try again:

The Q is from "quo vadis?" which is most commonly translated as "whither goest thou?" This form of the translation gained popularity in Elizabethan English (see for instance: Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice, Act II, Scene IV or the KJV, John 13:36) and has since stuck. The middle word (i.e., heart) of the translation is "goest". The connection to Antonio's heart in The Merchant...(thanks turbo; I wasn't even thinking about that) is just a happy coincidence.

Since no one's actually said it, let me take a shot at it: sewer+re+bt->rewebster?

Very Godelesque. :biggrin:
I'm not seeing the Godel connection, so am guessing my attempt was probably flawed...or at least incomplete!

here's one:

Haven't the foggiest. Does this somehow involve [Cinco de Mayo - May -> cincodeo ... 5 deo, V deo (video), 5 gods, fifth god...]?

I don't know if anyone saw this, but here's a clue:

Don't stop the Whip
Who me? :biggrin:

Well. I came in a little late for this, but the thread was sure fun to read! Nice job Gokul.
Thanks MJ!

Last edited:
sewer+re+bt->rewebster?
Not bad, but not what I had in mind either. Describe Godel's approach.

Not bad, but not what I had in mind either. Describe Godel's approach.
I was thinking, since I was the 'first' after Gokul's----webster 'def.'=tailor, and Gokul in a burg in India, but Gokul's answer is an amazing one.

Who me? :biggrin:
YES!!---Actually all three were as a tribute/homage to your hard work!! (the whip=cool whip!!-esp here at the holiday season)--I almost put 'Don't stop the pi whipping'

Here's another one to solve (easy, I think):

woh, wehn, wehre, ....

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Describe Godel's approach.
Approach for what? Proving the incompleteness theorems? I've thought this out and tried it on myself at various levels of detail, to no avail. :(

The best I could do was think that mapping logical elements onto numbers was sort of the same process as mapping meanings onto words, which is what a dictionary (even say, Webster's dictionary) does.

woh, wehn, wehre, ....
Hmmmm....that's a toughie, so I'll make some blind guesses: Is it wihch or wyh? :wink:

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm not seeing the Godel connection ...
Jimmy used self-reference.

Amazing thread!

Thanks, Gokul.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Jimmy used self-reference.
Ahhh, Herr Schneider! Ich bin dumm!

Amazing thread!

Thanks, Gokul.
You're most welcome! Glad y'all had fun too - I didn't want to be the only one in the party!

Rewebster: Thanks for the tri-bute!