The Potential Difference between 2 points

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the potential difference between points a and b in a circuit diagram and the value of V1. The person asking for help has calculated the currents to be I1=0.30A, I2=0.65A, and I3=0.35A. They attempted to use the formula (0.30*5) - 0.35= 1.15 V, but it was not correct. They ask for assistance in understanding the expression and its meaning. Another person responds with the correct value for V1, which is 12.0 V.
simion

Homework Statement

What is the potential difference between points a and b in the diagram?
http://imgur.com/Ubr4A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the currents to be:
I1=0.30A
I2=0.65A
I3=0.35A
What I tried doing was (0.30*5) - 0.35= 1.15 V but it's not right. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the value of V1?
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/5158/cctb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, it's 12.0 V

simion said:

Homework Statement

What is the potential difference between points a and b in the diagram?
http://imgur.com/Ubr4A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the currents to be:
I1=0.30A
I2=0.65A
I3=0.35A
What I tried doing was (0.30*5) - 0.35= 1.15 V but it's not right. Any help?

How did you arrive at that last expression? What does it represent?

The potential difference between two points, in this case points a and b, is the difference in electrical potential energy per unit of charge between those two points. It is measured in volts (V). In order to calculate the potential difference between points a and b, we need to know the voltage drop across each resistor. Since the resistors are in series, the total voltage drop across the resistors will be equal to the voltage of the battery.

To calculate the potential difference between points a and b, we can use Ohm's Law, which states that V=IR, where V is the potential difference, I is the current, and R is the resistance. In this case, we have three resistors, each with different values, so we need to calculate the voltage drop across each one.

Using Ohm's Law, we can calculate the voltage drop across resistor R1 as V1=I1*R1=0.30*5=1.5V. Similarly, the voltage drop across resistor R2 is V2=I2*R2=0.65*5=3.25V, and the voltage drop across resistor R3 is V3=I3*R3=0.35*5=1.75V.

Since the resistors are in series, the total voltage drop across them will be equal to the voltage of the battery, which is 6V in this case. Therefore, the potential difference between points a and b is equal to the sum of the voltage drops across the resistors, which is 6V.

In summary, the potential difference between points a and b is 6V. It is important to note that this value may change depending on the values of the resistors and the voltage of the battery.

What is the potential difference between 2 points?

The potential difference between 2 points is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between those 2 points. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

How is the potential difference calculated?

The potential difference between 2 points can be calculated by dividing the work done (or energy transferred) in moving a unit charge from one point to another by that unit charge. This can be expressed in the formula V = W/Q, where V is the potential difference, W is the work done, and Q is the charge moved.

What is the unit of measurement for potential difference?

The unit of measurement for potential difference is the volt (V). One volt is equivalent to one joule per coulomb (J/C).

What does a high potential difference indicate?

A high potential difference indicates a larger difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between 2 points. This means that there is a greater force acting on the charges, and therefore, a larger amount of work is done in moving them from one point to another.

How does potential difference affect the flow of electric current?

Potential difference is what drives the flow of electric current. When there is a potential difference between 2 points, charges will naturally move from the higher potential to the lower potential, creating a flow of electric current. The greater the potential difference, the higher the rate of flow of electric current.